• Register Today It's free!

front diff D35 carrier removal

BK_89iX

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SOHC
front diff D35 carrier removal (now rear!)

Been chasing a grumbling/growling bearing type noise in the front end of my Explorer for a couple of years now. '97 SOHC 4x4 with 93k miles. I'm starting to narrow in on the front differential and trying to work up the courage to remove it for internal bearing/race inspection. One detail I'm unclear on is removal of the "lockscrew" for the "pinon mate gear shaft". On the rear 8.8 it is plainly a bolt (that likes to shear its head off). On the front I have seen it referred to as a pressed in pin. If it's pressed in, how is it removed?

BK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe just different working because it's not pressed in. It'll remove just as the 8.8 does.

OK - studying up on what would be involved in replacing the bearings should I discover that they need it while I'm in there.

Seems the D35 carrier bearings are smallish and typical pullers tend to damage the shims. Anyone have a specific aftermarket tool recommendation for the front diff?

Also I posted up earlier about finding an amount of "brass" metal particles in my REAR diff after removing the cover. Think panning for gold. Found a good article indicating this is typical of hardened bearing races degrading. Same article claimed pinion bearings going south will "whir' while carrier bearings will "grumble" due to the differences in rotational speeds. Makes sense. I may need to dig into both differentials.

BK

link to article by Randy: http://www.4x4now.com/gt0699.htm

Theres not much of a edge to catch on too. Plus there are shims under the bearings on both sides. I used a torch cut the bearing cage off heated the bearing just enough to let the bearing slide off.

Finally got a chance to put the explorer up on all fours and run it a bit. My bearing type noises are definitley coming from the rear and not the front. Weird how the sounds can deceive you! Turning the wheels by hand gives a notchy feel. Pulled the calipers/rotors and the ebrake looks OK. Axles have 0.008" up/down play with an audible clunk. Had the diff cover off a few weeks ago and everything looked OK to my untrained eye.

I have a slide hammer and new axle bearings on the way, but I'm not too optimistic that will resolve things.

I'll need to pull the diff cover again to remove the rear axles and replace the axle bearings/seals. Any tips on what I should inspect or measure inside the differential? Do I go so far as to remove the carrier to look at the carrier bearings for pitting, etc.?

BK

Rear carrier bearings were my issue after all - detailed with pics in another thread.

The Yukon puller linked above looks awesome, but it's $$. Unlike the D35 the rear 8.8 seems to have reliefs cut into the carrier to allow a 2-jaw puller to get access and grab an edge, and it looks like I can get an OT brand puller kit for $80.

Anyone have any experience with the "knock-off" Yukon puller kits for ~$150?

I'm looking really carefully at the underside of the installed carrier bearings and I don't seem to have any shims at all under the bearing. I should see them if they were there, right??

BK

Rear carrier bearings were my issue after all - detailed with pics in another thread.

The Yukon puller linked above looks awesome, but it's $$. Unlike the D35 the rear 8.8 seems to have reliefs cut into the carrier to allow a 2-jaw puller to get access and grab an edge, and it looks like I can get an OT brand puller kit for $80.

Anyone have any experience with the "knock-off" Yukon puller kits for ~$150?

I'm looking really carefully at the underside of the installed carrier bearings and I don't seem to have any shims at all under the bearing. I should see them if they were there, right??

BK

I'm an idiot. The 8.8 is shimmed between the carrier race and the housing, not under the carrier bearing like the front D35. That's why I don't see any shims under there. My current shims are identical R/L and about 0.25" thick. Need to round up a carrier shim driver to pound on....

BK

Back