• Register Today It's free!

SLA D35 carrier break?

gumby

Reaction score
City, State
indy, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountianeer 5.0AWD
i am workin on a project that is gonna involve 3.08's in a SLA D35. i have found ALOT of conflicting information on D35 carrier breaks mostly stemming from the fact that there are so many variations and applications of it.

i found this post
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1334577&postcount=18

and i am wondering if between then(2005) and now if anyone has confirmed if there is/is not a carrier break in the SLA D35?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No carrier breaks in the Explorers.

but 3.08's are a really high gear, not factory installed in IFS Explorer.

Why such high gears?

the M5od-R2 is geared very low compared to the 4r70W.
R2: 1st(3.91) and OD(0.8)
4r: 1st(2.84) and OD(0.7)

3.08's will give me a LOWER first gear than my current 4.10's and a HIGHER od than the stock 3.73's!

My info is telling me the break is 3.27 +. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

everything i have found says the carrier break in the jeep D35 rear, the source of the gears i want, is 3.31
i havent found anyone who makes a "thin" 3.07, why would they? and i havent found anyone who makes a carrier for the SLA D35 to fit 3.31 and down gears, again, why would they?

so it looks like i am gonna be my own test mule here. ive got a couple guys who are gonna send me their old 3.07's and i will test fit them in my SLA D35. based on everything ive found so far, i will most likely need to machine the ring gear down in order to make this work. i wont know if that is even feasible until i get some gears in my hands.

Back