• Register Today It's free!

front differential leaking

pzy3339

Reaction score
City, State
columbus ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006, 4x4 Limited 4.6
I was looking under my truck to see if there was a drain plug on the front differential, which there is not as far as i can tell, and i noticed the drivers side was leaking where the cv joint plugs into the diff housing.

Anyone ever pulled that out of there? I am sure the seal is only like $25 and i want to change the oil in there anyways so if anyone has done that before and would tell me what I need to do to pull the shaft or axle or whatever you call it out of the differential housing I would appreciate it.

I found a Timken differential bearing/seal kit for $65 at autozone. any thoughts on that? would that be bearings and seals for the drive shaft and both cv axles? if so i may do that if possible. I just need to know how to get the drive shaft and the axles out of the differential.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timken is a top brand. And a good chance of being made in USA (though no longer a given).
Sorry, but I haven't done that level of work on my Mounty. Hope someone else chimes in.

As is standard on differentials, there is no drain plug only a fill plug. The way that fluid is changed on a differential is by pulling the cover and draining out the fluid that way. When you go to do the front differential be sure to fill it with a full synthetic 75-90 gear oil and not the factory weight of 80-90.
As far as pulling the half shafts go you have to pull the hubs to get to them and then they should just slide right out of the differential. With the work that you are wanting to do I would just drop the whole differential out and put a locker in it. See the maximum traction top sticky in the modified section.

As is standard on differentials, there is no drain plug only a fill plug. The way that fluid is changed on a differential is by pulling the cover and draining out the fluid that way. When you go to do the front differential be sure to fill it with a full synthetic 75-90 gear oil and not the factory weight of 80-90.
As far as pulling the half shafts go you have to pull the hubs to get to them and then they should just slide right out of the differential. With the work that you are wanting to do I would just drop the whole differential out and put a locker in it. See the maximum traction top sticky in the modified section.

it looks like the rear has a drain plug, with a massive 1" or maybe 1.25" tool required to loosen it. I remember doing a gear oil change on a buddy's toyota pickup and it had both drain and fill on front and rear. how easy and quick that job was! the 99 explorer i had at the time had only the fill plug, like my 06 does, so i went to pull the cover off and there was not enough clearance to get a few of the bolts out! i am hoping the new one is not that way. That said, either way it is very temping to do what you have said and drop the entire diff. Not sure if i want to spend the money on a locker or not. the leak is not that bad and i will probably wait till school is out for winter break to do it so i will for sure look into the locker options.

i think there are 4 or 5 Timken plants here in ohio so good chances any of their products here are going to be american manufactured.

thanks for the help!

also, i was planning to use 75-90 full syn mobile one in the front, since i already have some from doing this on my last explorer. and i was going to use lucas oil 75-140 full syn in the rear.

The rear already has a good 75-140 full synthetic from the factory in it so no need to change it until you have to make a repair on it or you have been submerging it in deep water. As far as removing the front differential cover you have enough clearance to pull it without any major issues.

Back