Front Differential Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential Leaking

R

RobertC

Hopefully someone can tell me why my front differential is leaking fluid through the attached hose. I have owned the truck for a little over a year now and have never had anyone service this, so it should not be overfull. I really need some help before trying self-maintenance. Is this something simple I can fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dead Link Removed

------------------
RobertC
96' XLT V-6 4X4 4 Dr
Bosch +4's and Splitfire Dual core wires
85/100 watt Headlights Behind Carbon fiber Headlight covers
K & N Drop in filter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like to me the fluid is over full or you have water in it and the fluid is foaming up and releaving pressure through the vent....I would first check the level. Next I would see if it looked kinda like a milkshake, if it does then there is water in it. If water is in it, drain fluid and refil, and try to rinse out the front dif. My 91 Explorer just had a fill plug so I drilled and taped to fit a drain plug. I am not sure how the newer ones are.

Eric

------------------
I would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

RobertC,

You can also stick a hose in the fill opening and mechanically suck the fluid out. It might take some time, but sometimes this is easier than taking everything apart.

This is a simple task, just a little time consuming.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Robert,
I remember reading about a problem with the front differential where if the hose itself gets crimped, pressure builds up in the differential and it starts leaking. Are you sure the fluid is coming from the hose? If I can find the thread that discussed this problem I will post it here.

Well, I couldn't find the thread, but I found this. If there was a TSB, then it must be a fairly common problem:

Service Bulletin Number: BC0317960901
Bulletin Sequence Number: 55
Date of Bulletin: 9609
NHTSA Item Number: SB049654
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: EXPLORER
Year: 1996
Component: SUSPENSION:SINGLE AXLE:REAR
Summary: FRONT AXLE FLUID LEAK FROM VENT TUBE. *TT

Also found the info in Deja that if the tube is crimped or plugged, the differential will leak thru the pinion seal. Hope this info helps

------------------
Tom Lynch
99 XLS

[This message has been edited by TPLYNCH (edited 04-25-2000).]

Well to be safe I had the fluids sucked out today and had Mobil 1 Sythetic put into both diffs. guys at the garage looked at me as if I was crazy for wanting to put those fluids in my differentials. The manager kept telling me his house brand was a better lubricant than the synthetic. Dead Link Removed We'll see if she leaks anymore on the garage floor this week. By the way the attendant did tell me that the fluid in the rear diff. was very black and the little bit that was left in the front was a milky color.

------------------
RobertC
96' XLT V-6 4X4 4 Dr
Bosch +4's and Splitfire Dual core wires
85/100 watt Headlights Behind Carbon fiber Headlight covers
K & N Drop in filter

[This message has been edited by RobertC (edited 04-26-2000).]

I am not sure WHICH Explorer's it applies to, but there is a TSB on fluid leaking out of the vent tube, says that it is caused when going in reverse, throws fluid up the tube, and out......there is a kit from Ford to fix it, not sure what it costs, but if you are under warranty, it should be free.....
James Jensen '96 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD 89k miles

I noticed that I had some leaking from the vent tube on my 95. At first I just smelled axle grease, didn't put 2 and 2 together until this weekend.

Well I extended the tubes some time ago and they were vented just above my heater core/heat exchanger.

Well it must have urped a bit as there was a residue running down the firewall and down the inside of the fender and out under the truck and all over the passenger side frame rail etc...thus explaining the faint axle grease smell.
For those that boat it smells like lower unit lube, if you have not had the pleasure of smelling old axle lube.

I changed the fluid (Amsoil Synth 75W140) and re-located the breather tubes. Hope this works for me as it is hard to get ALL the fluid out of the Front Diff without removing the axle and cover.

I am keeping a close eye on the vents to make sure that there is no more urping going on.

Good Luck!

I have the same problem, i've put 22k on this used '96 in the past year (it has 80k on it now) and this just seemed to happen out of nowhere.

I can't explain it however i did notice that the vent tube was hanging a little low so I raised the ending point higher and held it up with a nylon tie-wrap instead of the existing electric tape. I topped off the fluid cleaned it all up and put some white first aid tape on the tube so I can monitor it closely. About a hundred more miles and no new leakage.

In new york we have a new annual state inspection where they put the rear wheels only on a dyno and run the vehicle up to 60 mph- I just had it done and i'm wondering if this could have heated up the front diff and made some fluid leak- any ideas?

Back