• Register Today It's free!

Front Differential

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
I've a 2003 Ford Explorer, V6, 115K miles. I've a clunking noise at front end after putting vehicle in drive and then reverse. Local shop claims the problem is the front differential but don't seem to be sure. Have any of you had a front differential go out? If so, what were the symptoms? There are no leaks. Thus far, upper ball joints/control arms replaced, front rotors, tie rods. Stabilizer Bar/Links are tight. Struts not leaking but one on passenger side squeaks a little after pressing on bumper, but isn't the clunking noise. Thanks for any assistance

The local shop is stating that the front axles are good. If they were bad, should i hear a grinding noise while turning in left/right while turning in a curve, pulling onto/backing out of driveway and shouldn't there be a sign of the boots leaking grease? None of these symptoms exist! Can the drive axles still be defective? What is a good way to test them? If they are bad, shouldn't I hear the noise all the time vs only when hitting a bump/putting the transmission in drive/reverse? Could the problem be a broken or defective motor mount? The shop is saying that the rubber on the motor mounts isn't cracked or anything and appear to be fine. Could the problem be the transmission mount? I was reviewing 2carpros.com and came across a section on "clunking noise, the first thing to check." Still have a few other checks to make! They claim loose brake pads/calipers can cause a clunking noise. However, if this was so, I'm sure i would feel some sort of vibrations when braking. All rotors are new! Thanks for responding.........................

Have you checked your CV axles yet?

My front differential had to be replaced along with a front wheel hub, it had a loud vibration and got louder the faster you drove it.
$1500 later, it's good as new

Back