Regearing the front differential - possible solution | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Regearing the front differential - possible solution

If I am reading things correctly, I won't need to change the carrier in the rear, just the ring and pinion.

You sir, are correct...for the rear! Don't Fear the Gear!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had some problems with the 4x4 on my old 2000 and ended up buying a transfer case and the front diff. I never ended up installing the diff as the transfer case fixed the problms. I think I payed like $25 extra for the diff.

My question is, can I use the carrier from this diff (I think it's 3.73 LS) to swap to 4.10's in my 2003? If I am reading things correctly, I won't need to change the carrier in the rear, just the ring and pinion.

The 95-01's used a Dana 35 ifs up front. I don't know for sure if that will work with the super 30 ifs found in the 2002-2005's. They look like different part numbers for whatever thats worth. A 3.73 carrier for the front shouldn't cost more than 70 bucks brand new.

You are correct on the rear axle, no carrier swap needed

The dana 30 and dana 35 are different. There is some grey area with this super 30 mumbo jumbo. In true form a super 30 is a upgraded 30 spline dana 30 vs. the stock 27 spline. Being the explorer and jeep factory "super" 30 both are listed with 27 spline shafts they are typical dana 30 diff. The spiders listed for the explorer fit all the other dana 30 axles as well as the part number for the diff being the same between the two
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=5387
You can pick up new carriers pretty cheap usually around $75 as long as you don't need new spiders. The only tip for the rear, is the explorer 8.8 is unique being 31 spline. The carriers are all the same but you need the correct side gears for the axles to fit.

Matt

^^^^^
There's no difference...
straight off of your yukon link
Dana "Super" 30 Ford Front Dana Spicer "Super" 30, Ford Front

• Ring Gear Diameter: 7.120 • Cover Bolts: 10 • Ring Gear Bolts: 10 • Spline Count: 27 • Dropout: False • Pinion Support: False • Carrier Breaks: 3.54 / 3.73 • Rear Suspension: • Pinion Nut Size: 1-1/8

Compatible with Models:

Aviator: 2003 - 2005 (Front) Aviator: 2003 - 2005 (Front) Explorer: 2001 - 2012 (Front) Explorer: 2001 - 2012 (Front) Mountaineer: 2002 - 2010 (Front) Mountaineer: 2002 - 2010 (Front) Ranger: 2001 - 2005 (Front)

^^^^^
There's no difference...
straight off of your yukon link
Dana "Super" 30 Ford Front Dana Spicer "Super" 30, Ford Front

• Ring Gear Diameter: 7.120 • Cover Bolts: 10 • Ring Gear Bolts: 10 • Spline Count: 27 • Dropout: False • Pinion Support: False • Carrier Breaks: 3.54 / 3.73 • Rear Suspension: • Pinion Nut Size: 1-1/8

Compatible with Models:

Aviator: 2003 - 2005 (Front) Aviator: 2003 - 2005 (Front) Explorer: 2001 - 2012 (Front) Explorer: 2001 - 2012 (Front) Mountaineer: 2002 - 2010 (Front) Mountaineer: 2002 - 2010 (Front) Ranger: 2001 - 2005 (Front)

I think he was saying what Ford calls a super 30 is different than another axle referred to as the super 30.

It appears the Dana 35 IFS from the 95-01 explorers and the Dana Super 30 for the 2002-up explorers BOTH have 27 splines. The difference is in the carrier...specifically, the flange that you bolt the ring gear up to. The Dana 35 IFS has 8 ring gear bolts and the Dana Super 30 has 10. I'd be willing to bet that the holes wouldn't line up right if you tried swapping them and bolting up the ring gears.

Links:

Dana 35 IFS: http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/DiffD...iffID=239&Diff=AMC+Model+35+Reverse+IFS+Front

Dana Super 30: http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/DiffD...na&DiffID=121&Diff=Dana+"Super"+30+Ford+Front

This leads me to believe that the carriers from the two axles are not compatible. So you need a carrier specific to the Dana Super 30 (Ford type).

correct...i'm saying this super 30 is just a normal dana 30. If you call a diff supplier and ask for super 30 parts you need to specify or you will get the wrong stuff. the 35 and 30 have the same spline count but off hand i cant remember if the diameter is the same....i believe they are different. The carriers themselves are totally different between the two.

^^^ makes sense now...I've been tryin so hard to get all these parts together for my swap soon and didn't want to mess up this nice new true trac or gears...

correct...i'm saying this super 30 is just a normal dana 30. If you call a diff supplier and ask for super 30 parts you need to specify or you will get the wrong stuff. the 35 and 30 have the same spline count but off hand i cant remember if the diameter is the same....i believe they are different. The carriers themselves are totally different between the two.

Makes sense. I used regular Dana 30 gears in my front diff when I went to 4.10 ratio in my old 2004 explorer. The only difference was that the ford diff had some unique bearings and seals so I had to get a master overhaul kit that was specifically for the ford diff.

^^^ makes sense now...I've been tryin so hard to get all these parts together for my swap soon and didn't want to mess up this nice new true trac or gears...

You getting JD or BoominXplorer to set up the gears for you?

You getting JD or BoominXplorer to set up the gears for you?

Tryin to... Though I'd prolly pull the pumpkins and haul them in the taurus to wherever they're to be done... Remember mines no dd, only for man stuff or trips with the family lol..I'm still really torn on the master kits.... Jd swears(boomin would be doin it) we can check them when its apart and only do what's needed... Money is gettin tight on this gear swap since I opted for the limited slips..... The truck only has 116k and 95k was my grandma....
Knock on wood, I've never even done a wheel bearing, though with doing brakes and possibly spacers as well ill have a great opportunity to check them...
May just do seals since I know both pinions could use it +axle shaft seals...

Besides I still need to call James and order that sct I've been putting off before I can do anything...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It'll be worth it, believe me. With the LS units, gears, and some Henson torque tunes your truck will be a beast.

Tryin to... Though I'd prolly pull the pumpkins and haul them in the taurus to wherever they're to be done... Remember mines no dd, only for man stuff or trips with the family lol..I'm still really torn on the master kits.... Jd swears(boomin would be doin it) we can check them when its apart and only do what's needed... Money is gettin tight on this gear swap since I opted for the limited slips..... The truck only has 116k and 95k was my grandma....
Knock on wood, I've never even done a wheel bearing, though with doing brakes and possibly spacers as well ill have a great opportunity to check them...
May just do seals since I know both pinions could use it +axle shaft seals...

Besides I still need to call James and order that sct I've been putting off before I can do anything...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It'll be worth it, believe me. With the LS units, gears, and some Henson torque tunes your truck will be a beast.
I keep telling myself that...plus then they'd be DONE!
But then I'll have all the more reason to add an m-90..... :burnout:

I plan on doing this but i have the 3:55 gears right now so I understand that I need to get the 3:73 carrier. My question is that does the rear carrier have to be changed as well? I checked Rock Auto and there is a 3:54 and down and a 3:73 up carrier for the Front but the rear just says standard 8.8. Based on that does the rear not have to be changed?

No the rear does not need to be changed. Just the Front on 02+

Do you have to get the overhaul kits? Could I just get new carrier/pinion bearings? It is much cheaper. Then just buy the 4:10 ring and pinion. I recently did all the seals on the front/rear differentials and I have a lunchbox locker in the back. Also when i buy a 3:73 carrier on rockauto will it fit in my 3:55 differential housing?

Do you have to get the overhaul kits? Could I just get new carrier/pinion bearings? It is much cheaper. Then just buy the 4:10 ring and pinion. I recently did all the seals on the front/rear differentials and I have a lunchbox locker in the back. Also when i buy a 3:73 carrier on rockauto will it fit in my 3:55 differential housing?

Unless you have leftover shims from previous re-gears you will need the full over haul kits.

Yes the new carrier will slide right in, you will have to adjust the backlash thought.

Me pueden ayudar. Compre el piñon chico de una tj es un dana spincer 30 41 10 pero es mas corto que el de mi ford explorer 2008. Que necesito para poder instalarlo

IMG-20211012-WA0024.jpg

Back