• Register Today It's free!

Front differential.

EMANRESU

Reaction score
City, State
Washington pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Eddie BauerExplorer4.0
My father in law insists that the entire shaft is supposed to come out of the transfer case when changing the passenger cv axel. I think I need a new differential. Any help or insight would be appreciated

Its like 50/50 in my experience changing CV shafts on these trucks. Sometimes it comes out, sometimes not. If the extension stays its fine, just plug the new CV into it just like the drivers side. Assuming you are only referring to the extension shaft that's internal on the passenger side. If you have broken splines, or the extension you could have issues, but assuming its not been driven you should just be able to pull it, remove the broken piece and any bits and pieces from inside and send it.

To further elaborate, even if the extension comes out. Just remove it from the old shaft and install on the new one and reinsert, no issues with it coming out. Its only held in by a cir-clip. Which is a little ring that goes 95% around a groove cut into the splines. It's designed to be pushed and pulled out of the difference with out issue.

Back