Front end Chatter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end Chatter?

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
I recently bought a 1998 XLT 4.0L SOHC 4X4 with 70,000 miles on it. The truck is very clean, and has a 24,000 mile two year warrenty. I have a problem though, and am hoping someone has an idea what it might be.
I sometimes hear a loud chattering noise from the front end, ussually when the engine is cold and possibly more often when in a left turn. The noise is pretty rare after the truck warms up, and so by the time I get to the Ford dealership the noise is ussually gone. They said the found and tightened a loose bolt on one of the sway bars, but we still have the noise... any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it sound like it is coming from the engine or the suspension or driveline?

Eric

Thanks for the response Eric.

The sound seems to be coming from the suspension, but I could be wrong. The engine and driveline in general seem and sound strong no misses in firing or in shifting... I thought at one point it might be the fan hitting the cowling but there are no marks to indicate that might be the problem.

It's really hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from other than the front end. Sometimes the chattering seems louder on left side other times the right, but most commonly from the front left, and the noise ussaully lasts only for a minute or soand is intermittent, meaning it might not do it every time we drive the truck but virtually every other time at least. It may last a few seconds to a minute or so, but not knowing what the cause is driving me crazy.

The guys at the dealership have said unless they can hear it they can't help me with it, but as I said the sound goes away after driving maybe 20 miles, so by the time I drive the 80 miles to the dealership the car sounds like it just rolled off the production line.

Sorry the delay in response. Sounds like you have a intresting problem. Seems I work ar a dealersip also this is what I have told people and I find it better than you driving alot of miles. Drop the vehicle off the night before your appointment. That way the vehicle is cool. Sounds like the is when you notice it more. Then talk to the guy that is going to be working on it. Tell him details. Then tell him some more details. Tell him when it happends and all that good stuff. These things will help the tech diag the problems!!

Hope this helps keep me posted. Maybe give me some more details if you feel you left some out.

Eric

Hmm I think it's probably your power steering lines. Do a search on it, there is a TSB on it.

This problem is especially relevant on the 98 models.

Back