Front end clunk - bushing failure? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk - bushing failure?

Sway Bar. Mine is starting again. Only 5500 left on my warranty. I will never buy another Ford. EVER

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same problem on my '11 LTD with just over 50,000 miles. Something is loose in the front end, sounds like passenger side. Every bump in the road causes a "thump"-like noise.

Just curious- those having the issue, do you have a curb-cut driveway which requires you to drive over a bit of a curb to get into your driveway? I wonder if the suspension is not built to withstand those repeated low-speed impacts with the wheels turned.

Definitely not "Trail Rated" and I knew that. I didn't know it wasn't "Driveway Rated" either.

My advice: Get an extended warranty on the Explorer if you plan to keep it.

Just a few hunski short of 30k.

Thanks for responding, The Cheat. Since you're still experiencing an issue, I'd like to go ahead and get this in front of your regional customer service manager. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership; I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Same problem on my '11 LTD with just over 50,000 miles. Something is loose in the front end, sounds like passenger side. Every bump in the road causes a "thump"-like noise...

Have you been to your dealership for this, RandyH2? If not, I'd recommend making an appointment and offer to take your tech along for a test drive. Let me know how it goes; I'm here if you need any additional help.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal...I'm not sure escalating the issue is required yet, my local dealership is doing a great job thus far. I dropped it off again this morning and "Mike" who I think was the service manager(?) rode with me and I was able to reproduce the issue for him. He heard it as well (more felt it in the floor). I clunk when you unload and load the suspension at low speed. We replicated it by going over a speed bump at about 5 MPH.

This is after getting BOTH swaybar end links and hardware replaced last week - which did help eliminate another 'clunk' I was getting as well. Mike thinks it may be a bushing that has gone bad or a strut... we'll see.

Would you like me to PM you the information anyway Crystal?

...Can't tell you how much I (we?) appreciate you representing Ford on community forums, to me - that says a lot. No mass produced product will ever be perfect and I've been VERY happy with my Explorer so far.

Thanks again.

Same problem on my '11 LTD with just over 50,000 miles. Something is loose in the front end, sounds like passenger side. Every bump in the road causes a "thump"-like noise.

Just curious- those having the issue, do you have a curb-cut driveway which requires you to drive over a bit of a curb to get into your driveway? I wonder if the suspension is not built to withstand those repeated low-speed impacts with the wheels turned.

Definitely not "Trail Rated" and I knew that. I didn't know it wasn't "Driveway Rated" either.

My advice: Get an extended warranty on the Explorer if you plan to keep it.

Actually, I do Randy - my street drains in front of my driveway and there is a hard lip at the transition between my drive and the city street. So I turn into it everyday. I purposely go slow and careful, but I can't say that for my wife. haha. But she also rarely drives.

Mine is similar to this (but not mine):

IMG_20140512_164717_359_zpstjlzlwno.jpg

Also, like you - I don't expect my Sport to be "trail ready" (which I find funny because I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a BIGGER POS)... BUT I have had my Sport down a 10 mile gravel road when my family went to Big Bend here in Texas. It was a maintained gravel road and I was going a reasonable speed and avoiding any holes I could, but that's the only time mine has been "off road"...Maybe I'll regret that decision, but I hope that it can be fixed. That said, I didn't start having issues with 'clunking' until thousands of miles later.

To clarify - I re-read the thread and it sounds like there are two issues (which it seems I have both)...

1. Sway bar end link become lose or fail causing a clunk. This seems to be heard more when turning the wheels while moving and/or sitting still and just turning the wheel back and forth.

2. Bushing or strut clunk which is noticed by a hard metal on metal clunk when going slowly over speed bumps for example. For me, I hear it when the suspension cycles up and down a certain amount.

I think I've now had #1 fixed twice and #2 is hopefully getting fixed today.

Actually, I do Randy - my street drains in front of my driveway and there is a hard lip at the transition between my drive and the city street. So I turn into it everyday. I purposely go slow and careful, but I can't say that for my wife. haha. But she also rarely drives.

Mine is similar to this (but not mine):

IMG_20140512_164717_359_zpstjlzlwno.jpg

Also, like you - I don't expect my Sport to be "trail ready" (which I find funny because I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a BIGGER POS)... BUT I have had my Sport down a 10 mile gravel road when my family went to Big Bend here in Texas. It was a maintained gravel road and I was going a reasonable speed and avoiding any holes I could, but that's the only time mine has been "off road"...Maybe I'll regret that decision, but I hope that it can be fixed. That said, I didn't start having issues with 'clunking' until thousands of miles later.

The most I go over is a couple of speed bumps - and pretty much at the posted speed. Yet, with other cars I'd actually go over the same bumps at higher speeds without any problems. I never knew I'd have to baby an SUV when driving it on the streets - even for the Sport. I guess it's more of a crossover than an SUV and bordering on POS status. I wonder how the Flex holds up?

Any (more) recalls coming?

Thanks Crystal...I'm not sure escalating the issue is required yet, my local dealership is doing a great job thus far. I dropped it off again this morning and "Mike" who I think was the service manager(?) rode with me and I was able to reproduce the issue for him. He heard it as well (more felt it in the floor). I clunk when you unload and load the suspension at low speed. We replicated it by going over a speed bump at about 5 MPH.

This is after getting BOTH swaybar end links and hardware replaced last week - which did help eliminate another 'clunk' I was getting as well. Mike thinks it may be a bushing that has gone bad or a strut... we'll see.

Would you like me to PM you the information anyway Crystal?

...Can't tell you how much I (we?) appreciate you representing Ford on community forums, to me - that says a lot. No mass produced product will ever be perfect and I've been VERY happy with my Explorer so far.

Thanks again.

You're very welcome, The Cheat! No need to reach out to me if things are going well at the dealership; if at any point you do need me to step in, though, I'm always just a PM away. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I just had a sway bar link replaced on the driver side of 2014 Ex Sport w/ 9k miles only. I had a clunk that was getting worse for the past 3-4 months (so probably since I had only 6k miles on the car). Mostly driven on highway btw as I use public transportation for commute. seems like this is a chronic issue w/ Expl

I got under the Explorer the other day to have a look. Without putting it on a lift, I couldn't detect any loose suspension members. What I did notice was a "clunk" from the exhaust pipe right at the heat shield (maybe a catalytic converter under it?) just back from the front axles. After spraying it with some silicone lube as a test, the clunk noise is noticeably better.
Since I can't detect anything in the steering which indicates a worn suspension member, I wonder if my problem is different, or a combination of issues.

Sway Bar. Mine is starting again. Only 5500 left on my warranty. I will never buy another Ford. EVER

X2.

Mine is clunking and squeaking so bad it sounds 20 years old. It's a 2013 @ 58K. Dealer failed to even take it for a test drive and just charged me $200 for some BS.

So I wonder if I have this going on or starting? The only time I notice it is at VERY slow speed backing out of my garage as I am navigating to avoid the door opening and occasionally hear/feel some mechanical/light clunk in the wheel and but is not noisy. I don't think i am hearing/feeling on speedbumps but will check into this.

Sold. I'm not driving a car that sounds like that. My 02 acura salvage doesn't sound this bad. Ford just lost a repeat customer.

Bad sway bar link as well....5k miles...2015.

I am starting to feel/hear this more, curious if the CPO warranty would cover this or would be considered "wear and tear"? [MENTION=22460]Crystal[/MENTION] [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] any idea? 4K miles into my CPO warranty.

I am starting to feel/hear this more, curious if the CPO warranty would cover this or would be considered "wear and tear"? [MENTION=22460]Crystal[/MENTION] [MENTION=157968]FordService[/MENTION] any idea? 4K miles into my CPO warranty.

Tricia (Ford Service) would not be able to answer that. Best to check what the CPO Warranty covers.

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_program_brochure.pdf

Peter
Hello cwescapexlt4x4,

I agree with peterk9. The link he provided with let you know what is covered, or you can always contact your Ford Dealer for this information as well.

In the meantime, please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll check my resources at that time! :D

Tricia

My 2014 was making the "clunk" had it to 3 places, finally a dealer has found a bad ball joint and right axle boot leaking and a four wheel alignment!

Also had a right strut leaking oil!

Mine was clunking going over small bumps and when you dead stopped and pulled back out.

Wow! Hope mine isn't that much but I am going to need to see what is going on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like my MPP extended warranty should cover this for me (time to set up an appt.):
Suspension
All components including bushings, bearings, strut assemblies, automatic ride leveler system, computers, and sensors. All seals and gaskets.

Back