Front end clunks over bumps: '99 AWD - what is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunks over bumps: '99 AWD - what is it?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
'99 5.0 AWD with 215k.
I've had a noticeable clunking when going over mild to moderate bumps. I don't feel it in the steering, and it has no effect on the steering (no jiggling left or right, etc). The sound is similar to the sound that two broken or loose shocks would make; or loose lugs on both front wheels, however no feel through the steering.
There is no clunk from acceleration, and I never hear it on smooth roads/highways.
  • Lugs are tight and torqued
  • Calipers are tight
  • Alignment components/upper control arm bolts are tight
  • Brand new inner tie rod ends
  • Brand new outer tie rod ends
  • Brand new upper ball joints
  • Brand new lower ball joints
  • Brand new shocks
  • New DS sway bar link; original (good) PS sway bar link
  • Recent alignment
  • Steering is nice and tight without any wandering or uneven tire wear

What have I missed in the steering suspension components? Anything?
Possibly mounts of some sort?
Possibly something unique to AWD Explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my LCA Bushings go out around 190k. They were dry rotted and had alot of play..

The sound/feel would qualify that. How did you determine they were bad? Visual, movement w/prybar or disassembly?

I'm not sure of the proper procedure... But I had somone pushing up and down on the front bumper you could clearly see play in the bushings. When I pulled the steering knuckle off the arm you could move that thing all over the place. Mine were pretty far gone though. I suppose you wedge a crow bar or somthing to check for play.

Update

Initially, it was bumps or rough pavement/gravel roads that would make the front end clunk. But after hearing a noticeable clunk as I steered to the left and to the right that was getting progressively worse over time, I started to look into my steering components. But what was left?
Pinch bolt at the steering box and the rack I figured.
I had my son steer the wheel under power back and forth rapidly and lo and behold, I isolated the problem:
BAD OUTER TIE ROD END, DRIVER'S SIDE
This ******* was defective the day I put it in (see first post). Over a year's time, it got so sloppy that even the gentlest turns made it pop. I pulled it out today and if it weren't for the grease boot, it would slop to & fro on its own. It's that bad. There's about 1/4" up & down play w/in ball & socket. My original outers weren't nearly as bad at 200k. Put a replacement in, and now the front end is tighter than the day I replaced all the front end parts. No clunks.
This is the Autozone Duralast tie rod end, BTW. Lifetime warranty. Since AZ didn't have a reference for a TRE for '99 AWD Explorer, I went with the 4wd part.
The guy at Autozone said that I had installed the wrong one. Since Autozone doesn't have a reference for an outer tie rod end for a '99 AWD, he said that the part for a '99 4WD is the wrong application.
I say BS. MEOE79 which is Motorcraft at Rock Auto references this part for all Explorers. Same with Moog. Same with Deeza. I can't find a single manufacturer that references a different out tie rod end for an AWD over a 4wd.
Does anyone know differently?
Had I this not been under warranty, I'd be putting in Moog's this go around.

Back