Front End Hum

labwaste

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Expl0rer Sport 4X4
Hello All,

New member here with a pain in the a$$ issue with my 2001 Explorer Sport. I have a front end hum when driving which increases/decreases with speed. The hum is loudest around 45 mph and dies down (maybe because of higher pitch) above that. If I turn even the slightest to the left at speed, the noise goes away completely.

I pulled the tires off the front on each side, removed the brakes and took a look. The CV boots all look good, and there was no play or noise from the hub assembly (wheel bearings).

I did notice that both front tires did not spin completely free, and it seemed to be just a bit of friction from the pads.. but I also noticed when I spun the tires by hand, the front drive shaft also turned - is this supposed to happen? While up on the stand I did engage 4x4 and the wheels did lock.

I am going to try swapping each front tire with the spare to see if I have a bad one but after that I'm stuck on what to try next.

Any info would help out a lot.

Thanks

i had a hum or a sound like tread noise last 2 weeks ago. then one day the right hub bearing blew at school. might be that..

i tire to find any play befor it happended but couldnt

Back