front end shuddering and clunking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front end shuddering and clunking?

kimm2381

Reaction score
City, State
Tulalip, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Somewhere in the front driveline I have a problem, it started out as a heavy clunking that felt like it was under the DS floorboards, and is now just shuddering at high speed (around/over 70mph) and clunking to a stop and over rough terrain. We have replaced outer tie rods on both sides, both cv axles, both lower ball joints, and brake pads and rotors. We were told it is simpler, but possibly more expensive short term to just replace the whole axle assembly (I think that's what part it is, around $350?) Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm looking to sell it soon so I dont want to put a whole lot into it (whole lot MORE anyways, spent $200ish recovering the engine and cat. converters after 1 cracked head + both blown, and another $150 to rebuild the trans.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like front driveshaft issue. They do make a repair kit to save you some money.

I concur with swetrid. Try removing the front drive shaft and take a test drive before you sink any more $$$. See the stickys for instructions/warnings.

Check the torsion pads.

I forgot a piece of potentially important info... its an AWD/4WD. Is that any affect on driving it with the drive shaft out? Or what my problem could be?

$150 to "rebuild" the trans? um?

oh, otherwise maybe thats the problem $150 for trans wont even get you a flush

I think he forgot the last 0 lol.

I am a she and not a he ;), and I have the correct amount of 0's. A master overhaul kit is $115 plus s&h, plus any fluids cleaners etc I rounded up to $150. I can rebuild it myself so there is no need to pay anything over that, unless I pay my dad to do all the grunt work

Back