• Register Today It's free!

2010 Front End Shudder

Merlin8167

Reaction score
City, State
Allison Park, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone, been a member a long time and only posted once but now have a question...more like wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what (if anything) caused it or was found to cause it.

2010 Ediie Bauer 4.0L SOHC..Limited Slip Diff.

When tight turning at low speeds (either forward or reverse) there is a shudder that seems to be coming from the front end. Also, gets more pronounced when the a/c is on (of course, more engine load).

Had changed the stock plugs to Pulstars (they actually do work) and thought that might be it. Took them out and put the stock motorcrafts back in and still does it.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This might sounds really dumb but, is the car in 4x4? I know when I accidentally had mine in 4x4 I would get something similar as the front end was binding.

Thanks but I know that it isn't in 4wd. I have the 4 auto /high/low and it's not activated.

This being my 4th explorer i"m familiar with the binding that you are referring to when the 4wd is engaged and what I'm experiencing isn't anything like that.

One theory that I have come up with is that in a tight turn one wheel is moving faster than another, the 4wd auto "thinks" the wheels are slipping and is momentarily engaging the magnetic clutches.

Just tossed it out there. Going to the dealership next Tuesday to see if my mechanic can figure out what's up. Already gave him a heads up and he is looking into it. Ironically the mechanic in the bay next to him had a guy bring his explorer in with the same complaint. Didn't find anything wrong with his so maybe it's what Ford considers normal and it's how it is. Thankfully I bought the 7yr/125,000 mi ESP just like I did with all my others.

I think I'm having the same issue as your talking about with my '10. Mine I notice feels like a shutter as I'm turning the wheel almost full circle. While stopped or turning slowly. Does it in park and in gear...to me it almost feels steering related..like the rack n pinion is shuttering....is this what yours is doing? Gonna take it in. I've only had it 4mos and has 4k miles on it. I had an 03 with the annoying wheel binding issue. This is not like that at all. Keep us updated. Good luck.

jwright4,

Sounds like you are experiencing the same thing that I am. Haven't noticed it when it's in park but definitely when in gear and yes it's when the steering wheel is turned almost to its limit. Have 2 trains of thought on this. The first, like I mentioned, is the Auto 4wd is seeing one wheel going faster than another (even though it is a VERY low speed) and is engaging the magnetic clutches...OR....it is something within the rack and pinion unit or the steering system. Only way to rule out the 4wd system is to disconnect the transfer case and see if it does it.. If it it still does it without power to the transfer case then it pretty much has to be in the steering system.

ALTHOUGH.... there is one remote possibility that I am hoping ISN'T the case. My mechanic told me that a while ago some explorers had bad rear-end clutch packs and exhibited the same shudder but it was actually coming from the rear-end not the front. They replaced the clutch-packs with a newer/upgraded design which eliminated the issue.

If there is a possibility that it is the rear clutch-pack he said he might consider putting Ford Friction Modifier in to see if that eliminated the issue. His thinking is that if the Friction Modifier cleared up the issue then it probably is the clutches then he would replace them.

Back