Front end wheel / axle noise??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end wheel / axle noise???

KMR

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2008 Explorer with awd. It has developed rolling noise (woo woo woo) in the front driver side. It increases as you drive faster. Lil to no steering feel. More so in the floor. I replaced the wheel bearing / hub assembly this past saturday. NO change. Not sure what the issue is. I am sure you can help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace both fronts? The bearing noises on these vehicles have been known to attenuate on the opposite side that it is really coming from and in cases of only feeling it in the floor of the drivers seat it can actually be coming from the rear. Check all the bearings before you replace to hopefully avoid unnecessary repairs.

Any suggestions on how to exactly narrow it down? Could it be something else?

KMR -

The only way to find out is to put it up safely in the air, run it up to 50-60 mph,crawl under with a stethoscope and listen to every part of the drivetrain. Because it's a 4wd vehicle, the noises just spread around. Read my other post about transfer case replacement.

Try rotating your tires. Feathered tires will make a very similar noise to bad wheel bearings. Also, did you use a Chinese hub unit? I have had quite a few of those bad right out of the box. I only use motorcraft or timken branded bearings now (motorcraft units have timken bearings)

Not sure about Chinese hub. Its not a motorcraft. I replaced just the front drivers side. Thats where I believed the noise was coming from. The sound didn't change at all. I would rather not start replacing all the hubs.

It could be the other wheel bearing, cupped tires, bad tie rod, bad CV joint....

I doubt it is the tires. They are new. Maybe 1,000 miles on them. I will try rotating. Not sure that will help. As I drive I tried to listen very carefully. I would swear its the driver side front. I had someone else drive and sat in the passenger seat. It is much quieter on that side.

To be honest, why not change BOTH front hubs? The other is bound to fail soon anyway. I bet thats the noise you hear.

Agreed. Hubs are like tires, shocks and brakes. I won't do just one. The noises really do travel all over these in the weirdest ways.

Where is the best deal on a decent hub / bearing? My local Advanced Auto wants $300

You can get a motorcraft front hub assembly right now online for under $200 with free shipping, just shop around and you will find them. Best price right now on ebay for a HUB-29 assembly is $229 with shipping parts geek shows the complete motorcraft assembly for just under 200 with shipping.

I get Motorcraft Hub67 from Amazon for $ 179 with next day shipping. Can't beat that.

I have similar noise its not either hub, axle shaft bearing seems sloppy, I want to replace that but cannot find info if its pressed or not... anyone do the shaft bearing in the driver side diff? not the carrier bearing, I am saying the one where the axle seal is...

I want to see how this is resolved. My front is still humming and grinding very lightly. 2 new Motorcraft hubs in front, replaced the transfer case - that helped since the rear output bearing was shot. I hear something in the front diff now, both sides are sloppy where the CV shafts go, not sure how much play is normal. It has lots of more play than the rear CV shafts / center diff set up. I think a new/used front axle is in my future but if I can replace just the bearings - that would be nice. But you still probably would need to drop the axle.

Well after the holidays past I got back to the Explorer. I attempted to put it on jack stands and run it. It didn't cooperate and the wheels turned intermittently and the truck shook. So didn't pursue that very long. I did rotate the tires while it was up. That didn't help. Realized after that it may have worked in 4x4. I then had my brother-in-law drive it again. We both would have bet pay checks it was the left drivers side. I then decided enough driveway games. I took it to local mechanic I use occasionally. Explained my story. He put it up on the lift and sure enough it was the right passenger side wheel bearing. I can not believe it. Amazing. I even sat in the passenger seat while my BIL had drove it. Barely any noise from that side. Not sure how the sound and vibration travels but it sure did stump us. Anyway all fixed...for now. Thanks for your help

Back