Howling noise coming from front end - wheel bearing hub assy changed out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howling noise coming from front end - wheel bearing hub assy changed out.

SteveRosenow

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
For my first official "Help! I'm having issues!" post, I figure I'd post a bit of a backstory...

Almost three years ago, I picked up a 1996 Ford Explorer with the 5.0L V8 and AWD. It's a mostly-mint-condition model with sunroof and leather interior (deep emerald green exterior, gray interior).

Up to last spring, everything has performed mostly well and I've not had any real issues with it, until May when a howling noise started developing.

The noise got to the point where I lifted it up on jacks last week and did a cursory check, and found that the passenger's side front wheel bearing hub assembly was worn. There was a bit of free play in the wheel hub in the vertical axis (grabbing the tire at the midnight and six o'clock position and moving it around)...

Sooo, last Tuesday, I ordered a wheel bearing hub assembly online. Today, it arrived and I installed it, making sure the bolts were torqued to spec.

After lowering the vehicle and testing it, I discovered that I still very much have that same howling noise. It's interesting to note that it is somewhat quieter, and when I turn the vehicle to the right (say, going around a curve to the right on a roadway), the noise completely vanishes.

Could this mean that the driver's side hub assembly is shot? Or what else could be the culprit?

I feel the howling noise as a vibration in the steering wheel too, so I am inclined to think it's a bearing of some sort.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I miss the silent ride it used to be!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on vehicle? Did the passenger side replacement resolve the play issue?

It does still seem like a bearing/hub assembly. And since you just replaced the passenger side, I would replace the driver’s side bearing/hub.

Good luck.

223,000+ in terms of mileage. In terms of free play yes, that did resolve the issue on the passenger's side. Driver's side had no play but I also know that you don't necessarily need free play to have a bad bearing.

Interestingly enough, I had my mom ride with me since I am deaf in one ear and cannot tell where sound is coming from. When I had her listen, she said it sounded like it was coming from around middle... which is weird since I feel the howling noise as a vibration in my steering wheel.

With that mileage, and over twenty years of age, and after you changed the one bearing, I would definitely change the other bearing also. For good maintenance practice, I would replace both sides. That is likely to resolve this. Otherwise, you have something far less common...

Hopefully, you will soon have this whipped.

Good luck.

It is can be very difficult to determine the location of noises, and make diagnoses, while riding in the vehicle. Sound and vibrations travel under the vehicle.....

I plan on ordering the hub for the other side next week.

Good plan. Let us know the results.

You got this.

True, however it isn't my first roadeo (see what I did there? LOL ) with wheel bearing howl noise.

In fact, I had a 1996 Ford Taurus go well into the 300,000-plus mile range before its original wheel bearing hub assembly on the right front side started howling. Once I replaced that, the noise went away entirely.

Well I had the same problem with my 96 explorer. Changed the wheel bearing hubs twice, no difference what I did was disconnect the front drive shaft and go for a ride. Same noise, so I put the front drive shaft back in and removed the 2 cc shafts that connect the wheels to the front Dana 35 diff. Short test drive and I still had the noise. The only thing moving now is the wheels. Turned out to be my tires. Even they are only a couple years old and still look good, they got noisy somehow. Changed the tires and now all I hear is wind....very nice. Hope this helps.

Well I had the same problem with my 96 explorer. Changed the wheel bearing hubs twice, no difference what I did was disconnect the front drive shaft and go for a ride. Same noise, so I put the front drive shaft back in and removed the 2 cc shafts that connect the wheels to the front Dana 35 diff. Short test drive and I still had the noise. The only thing moving now is the wheels. Turned out to be my tires. Even they are only a couple years old and still look good, they got noisy somehow. Changed the tires and now all I hear is wind....very nice. Hope this helps.

Mine are literally brand new. Less than 200 miles on them, actually.

Back