• Register Today It's free!

Front hub assembly bolts

wrightyonline

Reaction score
City, State
wolverhampton
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer 4.0 auto
Hi all, once again I'm turning to this amazing group for help !
Yesterday I received my front hub assemblies ready to replace them, so got the front wheels off and found the three bolts holding the assemblies to the knuckle were not only seized but extremely corroded and then rounded when I tried loosening them ( I've abandoned this job for now). The replacement hubs did not come with new bolts and as I'm in the uk and imported them from the states I don't really want to be ringing and ordering some to wait ages for them to arrive as my front bearings are fubar, so knowledgeable people can anyone tell me what thread and length these 3 bolts are so I can go get some before the gas axe and extractors are used to get them out as I'm going to destroy the originals and can't leave the truck on axle stands as it's my daily driver, cheers,
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you soak them with PB Blaster for a few days and give them a good wack with a hammer before trying to remove them. I needed one for my old 97 and I was told they were dealer only and I think they charged me 10 bucks for one.

Soaked everyday for a week, still rounded when tried to undo them ! Will have to bite the bullet and extract one to get thread and length matched at local hardware place, just need to sort out a lift to and from work while trucks on stands

If you have access to a MAP torch give the head of the bolt a couple good wacks with a hammer and the heat the area around the bolt till it's good and hot. You might be able to get one of them to turn with a good pair of vice grips. Did you use a 6 or 12 point socket?

They thread into the hub so just cut the heads off. Thread size is M12x1.75 use a measure to figure the length you need.

Bill

Back