Donate to Save Dannyboy's life...cage time | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Donate to Save Dannyboy's life...cage time

From seeing your problem solving skeelz and hearing you talk at the last T-haven, sounds like you've got the knowledge and ingenuity to design/build your own cage.

So I say you acquire/borrow/purchase/steal a welder and a bender and let the juices floooow.

I'm quite a procrastinator. If I was to do this on my own there would be way to much "good enough" going on. But thanks for the compliments.

I think with the seats it will be under $3500, but we'll see. That's only $1750 per passenger in safety now that my girl wants to come along on the runs.

Colin, thanks for the links to Arvin's truck. We'll be using that for some ideas for sure.

I remember seeing the McNeil endo'd thread and was suprised the cage didn't go all the way to the rear. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84159&highlight=mcneil+whoops

The reason my headliner and all panels are coming out is to try to save as much body from collapsing in the event of a rollover. Why not spend a few bucks now instead of letting the entire rear collapse like that truck did?

Which brings up another good point. Like with motorcycle helmets, they say you should toss them if they get in a wreck even if they look in good shape...are roll cages the same?

Attachments

• explorer2.jpg
    explorer2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,162
  • explorer3.jpg
    explorer3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,041

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So Cal roll cage Party. These turned out rather nice. Some extended their cages all the way to the rear.
IMG_0068SE.jpg

Which brings up another good point. Like with motorcycle helmets, they say you should toss them if they get in a wreck even if they look in good shape...are roll cages the same?

according to McNiel, when i talked to them, if you weld the cage to the body, you roll it once and its done. if you weld the cage to the frame, the cage will be fine and stay intact and remain pretty true/square. and then you cut the body off and weld a new one on.

gee that would be swift

you dont need chromo, just run 1020 DOM.

Any donations yet?

Luckily this isn't a 24 hour tel-a-thon. I'm up to $867 and if I can get 300 members to all kick in ten bucks I may hit my goal.

C'mon people, open up your hearts. It's the holidays.

Hey dannyboy, you know where i stand. if we are going racing, I'll have 2 g's on it in march....

Luckily this isn't a 24 hour tel-a-thon. I'm up to $867 and if I can get 300 members to all kick in ten bucks I may hit my goal.

C'mon people, open up your hearts. It's the holidays.

WOW!:eek: That's pretty good! How much did you donate to yourself though:p: or was it the GF?:D

...sorry to hear that carlover...:(

attachment.php

Wow if you don't use those, LE ME at em!!

Umm, yeah, that was total B.S. on the donations I did however give John $500 when I left his shop. I needed to make sure it was really going to happen.

Those are the real deal bedsides from the John Swift Truck. I got those with the truck, I think Joe said he paid like a grand for them!

Those are the real deal bedsides from the John Swift Truck. I got those with the truck, I think Joe said he paid like a grand for them!
Wow -- I think i need to get into the fiberglass business :D

Were using chromoly for our exo cage. Were trying to eliminate as much external body damage as possible.

Another thing Winter pointed out to me about Paul B's and his cage is that they were trying to eliminate the possibility of smashing your head on the cage in the event of a rollover, which with enough impact can be very dangerous.

yeah, being 6'4" that is another issue I see, another reason why I need to put in aftermarket seats. Losing the headliner will hopefully move that all out of the way.

And I just found another pic of the Swift racing truck!

Attachments

• RocketXplorer (Medium).jpg
    RocketXplorer (Medium).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 909
  • BuckNXplorr (Medium).jpg
    BuckNXplorr (Medium).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 878

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a pretty good shot of the rear fenders...I LIKE!

l_47.jpg

Back