Front lower ball joint part no. question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front lower ball joint part no. question

Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
Can anyone illuminate why some manufactures use the same part no. for 3rd gen and 4th gen Explorer front lower ball joints, and some use separate part nos.?

Per RockAuto, for example, Mevotech and AC Delco use the same part for these two models, whereas Ford, Moog, and others use different part nos. Weird.

I checked Moog's specs for the two parts online (couldn't find for Mevotech). The only differences:

K80771 (4th gen): "length" and "height" listed as 3.910 inches.
K8695T (3rd gen): "length" and "height" listed as 3.430 inches

I have a new, in the box K8695T that I bought for my 3rd gen (but decided I didn't need to install, yet), and measured its height: a hare under 4" -- which corresponds to the K80771/4th gen spec. NB: This part is still in a sealed Moog plastic bag labeled K8695T, so I know its not a supplier shuffle situation.

Conclusion (tentatively): I'm going to use the K8695T on my 4th gen, if one of those lower front ball joints wears out before the 3rd gen ones do. Mostly b/c Mavotech and AC/Delco seem to say its okay to do so!

Any wisdom on this mystery would be appreciated, though.

Back