• Register Today It's free!

Front Rotors Install

Mountaineer97TM

Reaction score
City, State
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountainer AWD V-8
I need to install new front rotors and wanted to see if anyone knew what size wrench I would need to take it off? Also what is the torque for putting it back on? I have do this tomorrow morning to put my car back on the road and have no clue what size I need and the torque. Someone please help me. I have 97 Mountaineer AWD

Thanks,
Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take off your wheel, remove caliper, slide off rotor. Slide on new rotor, put caliper back on with new pads, put wheel back on. Done.

Buy a haynes manual or go to the autoparts store and check the torque required for the caliper bolts.

After a few months, check on the bolts again to make sure they haven't backed out or you could use some loctite.

Aren't the front rotors install different then back. I know how do that I have done them a lot. I thought I had remove the huge bolt in front to take the rotor off. It looks that way but have not done it yet.

No leave that big nut there. The rotors just flop off. IF they dont want to come off easily then beat the crap out of it with a hammer. (assuming you are trashing the rotors) ALWAYS use new pads with new rotors.

Yep. Got new pads and rotors for all the way around. I actually got drilled and slotted rotors. Got a great deal on them so I bought them. Thanks for help everyone.

Are the brakes different between '97 and '98? I just recently changed my rotors (actually had to remove one of them to get to a broken stud) on a '98 and I had to remove the caliper bracket which is held on by two very large (and rusted) bolts. It was a little bit of a pain.

I guess this is for my info as much as yours. Are mine different?

No, caliper bracket must be removed on all 4x4 or AWD vehicles to remove the rotors.

Thanks. Yeah got the rotors off and just went out and decided to buy new calibers.

"calipers" what made you decide to do this? You dont need top replace them unless they are malfunctioning

The back to were locked up and the front one was not working properly.

Make sure you use lock tite on the bolts that hold the pad holder in place over the rotor (not the caliper bolts). On my 2000, they had red locktite but I used blue and made sure to torque them properly. I've heard people here say the torque should be anywhere from 70 - 130 ft lbs. Check for your specific year but the moral of the story is they have to be tight and lock-tited in place. The reason is they work themselves loose and several people on the board have had severe damage as a result.

As far as getting off the rotors, use a metal hammer on the inner part between the lugs. I beat the hell out of the edges with a rubber mallot with no luck but then taking a framing hammer not even that hard to the part that surrounds the lugs broke the rust and I was able to slide the rotor off. When you are putting things back together use 3 lug nuts (threaded backwards) to hold the rotor in place. Made things easier on my job.

Back