• Register Today It's free!

Front Spindle swap Question?

vq5speed

Reaction score
City, State
1991 XLT Manual Locks
Year, Model & Trim Level
Stockton,Ca
I trashed my front bearings and spindle on my 91. Are the Spindles that come on the manual locking hubs the same spindle on the Auto locking hubs? I need to get a Spindle from the yard and if I can't find an Ex with Manual hub are the Spindles on the Auto hubs the same..
I'm thinking there the same. Because was looking at kits to change from Auto hubs to manual hubs they don't show you need to change the spindle..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, same. If you're going to pull some off an Ex with auto hubs, make sure you know about the little key in the inner hub and how to remove it.

Yes, same. If you're going to pull some off an Ex with auto hubs, make sure you know about the little key in the inner hub and how to remove it.
Yes I found that out. Had a hell of a time figuring how to remove that key. Found a piece of thin metal mesh off a tweeter. Was able to rip the screen into a point and slip it between the nut above the key and pulled it out. Then there was some other weird thing I guess some sensor I basically pounded it off hahaha. Then there was this bolt on the back and didn't bring any small wrenches but found someone who let me used there crescent wrench then finally!!!!!!! it came off! hahaha

Yes I found that out. Had a hell of a time figuring how to remove that key. Found a piece of thin metal mesh off a tweeter. Was able to rip the screen into a point and slip it between the nut above the key and pulled it out. Then there was some other weird thing I guess some sensor I basically pounded it off hahaha. Then there was this bolt on the back and didn't bring any small wrenches but found someone who let me used there crescent wrench then finally!!!!!!! it came off! hahaha

I'm usually able to get a magnet to work in getting the keeper out, you right though they are a pain. The sensor was for the ABS. It's the wheel speed sensor. Explorers got 4 wheel ABS in 93.

Back