• Register Today It's free!

Front suspension rattle?

pjerdee

Reaction score
City, State
Port Washington WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
So I am hoping someone here has experienced this before I take it in to a mechanic. My 2015 XLT has a rattle/clunk sound that you can hear on really bumpy roads. It almost sounds like something is loose. If I drive it slow and move the steering wheel to the left and right, you hear the same clunk sound. I did replace both front sway bar links but the sound persists. I also had it in a couple of weeks ago for the rear toe link recall. The dealer did show me the report of the wheel alignment and said I needed a front alignment. They did report that there were no worn parts that are causing the misalignment. So other than front struts, what else could be causing this sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be front sway bar links, fairly inexpensive and easy to do yourself.

My guess would be front sway bar links, fairly inexpensive and easy to do yourself.
I did state that I already replaced both front sway bars links. And yes, it was pretty easy to do.

Does it feel like it's coming through the floor?
The rear bushing on the lower front control arm makes a clunk noise and can sometimes be felt by your feet when it goes bad.

Sounds like it's your strut mount. The bearings in the mount are bad. I have this exact issue that I've finally figured out what it is. For the longest time I thought it was the bushings on the EPAS needing to be replaced. I ordered parts last week.

Not sure why these are commonly over looked, but check the sway bar to fram bushings. They can cause that rattle you described, and will make a side to side clunk from steering wheel.

For the rattle, check the air damn cover that goes over the oil filter underneath. I changed my oil last Saturday and noticed it was loose on one of the turn screws. I added some foam insulation between the screw and the air damn and no more rattle.

Does it feel like it's coming through the floor?
The rear bushing on the lower front control arm makes a clunk noise and can sometimes be felt by your feet when it goes bad.
It doesn't feel like it is coming through the floor. In fact, when I hear the sound, I don't feel anything that would give me the feeling that something isn't right. Nothing through the steering wheel or floor.

For the rattle, check the air damn cover that goes over the oil filter underneath. I changed my oil last Saturday and noticed it was loose on one of the turn screws. I added some foam insulation between the screw and the air damn and no more rattle.
At one point I thought that this could be it. I double checked that it was secure and nothing loose. I also took some rubber gasket material I have an made 3 small cushions to go in between the cover and the rails.

Not sure why these are commonly over looked, but check the sway bar to fram bushings. They can cause that rattle you described, and will make a side to side clunk from steering wheel.
I have tried to look for videos that would show or talk about these bushings but haven't found anything. And with it still being winter in Wisconsin, I don't have the garage space to run it up on ramps to look under it right now. But it will be something I will look into.

Sounds like it's your strut mount. The bearings in the mount are bad. I have this exact issue that I've finally figured out what it is. For the longest time I thought it was the bushings on the EPAS needing to be replaced. I ordered parts last week.

Now this kinda makes sense. I only wish the guy in the video would have mentioned if he hears this sound while driving on a rough road or not. But the sound he does have recorded sounds like what I hear while turning the wheel and rolling slowly. I have to ask, did you simply replace the mounts as well or did you replace the whole assembly?

Now this kinda makes sense. I only wish the guy in the video would have mentioned if he hears this sound while driving on a rough road or not. But the sound he does have recorded sounds like what I hear while turning the wheel and rolling slowly. I have to ask, did you simply replace the mounts as well or did you replace the whole assembly?
I'm going to replace the entire assembly with a Motorcraft loaded assembly. I figured at 123,000 on a 2011 that the struts would be due for being replace soon anyways. The price of the loaded assembly was cheaper than strut and strut mount separate. I ordered both sides last week from a ford dealer online, hopefully they show up sooner than later.

I have tried to look for videos that would show or talk about these bushings but haven't found anything. And with it still being winter in Wisconsin, I don't have the garage space to run it up on ramps to look under it right now. But it will be something I will look into.
I get it. Im in Wisconsin as well. I’ve gone through two sets of those bushings because of the same noises you mention. FYI. If you do replace them, they are easy and cheap and motor craft ones are much better than the others.

I'm going to replace the entire assembly with a Motorcraft loaded assembly. I figured at 123,000 on a 2011 that the struts would be due for being replace soon anyways. The price of the loaded assembly was cheaper than strut and strut mount separate. I ordered both sides last week from a ford dealer online, hopefully they show up sooner than later.
So I have found that they do not have a loaded assembly for the 2016 yet. That is frustrating. I did end up purchasing new struts and mounts. The job wasn't too terrible to do. The sound has gone away so I figure it was a bad mount. I believe it was passenger side because a couple of days before I replaced it, the spring would twang a little when I would turn the wheel. So glad I caught that.

Back