• Register Today It's free!

Front Tow Hooks for 2005 Explorer

SE3P

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Sport
Hi Folks, Need some help, just bought a 2005 Ford Explorer 4x4, with the class 4 tow package and the 4.0 V6. My XLT sport does not have any front tow hooks. Were is the best place to buy nice bolt-on front tow hooks from? Ford sells them for $103 for two. I think that is a little pricey for some welded steel. :Any guidance would be great. Thanks exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is weird. I was trying to find these online last night. The only place that I found them was at http://www.fordaccessories.com/prod...r4dr/explorer-tow-hooks/ExplorerTowHooks.aspx and they were $99 there. The same website also sells the keypad for $120, but found it on eBay for much cheaper. I didn't see the tow-hooks on eBay though.

Good luck!

BTW, I just bought the same explorer on Tuesday night. Mine's burgundy.

Matt

They're the same as the F-150. Picked a set up for our '02 for $20 at a swap meet :)

IAmTodd said:
They're the same as the F-150. Picked a set up for our '02 for $20 at a swap meet :)

Will Expedition tow hooks fit? I think they're the same as the ones on the F-150. A guy I know has been complaining about his and wants to take them off (doesn't like "the look"). If they'll work, I'll bolt them on mine! :D

I believe they will :)

IAmTodd said:

Sweet, I too did not see any Explorer front tow hooks on Ebay, but I did see a lot of them for the F150. Thanks Todd :thumbsup:

They're not the easiest thing to install though. You have to remove some plastic if I remember correctly. Actually, I think you need to remove the bumper. Although I juggled doing both.

IAmTodd said:
They're not the easiest thing to install though. You have to remove some plastic if I remember correctly. Actually, I think you need to remove the bumper. Although I juggled doing both.

If it's anything like the 2003 you must pop out the plastic knockouts in the front bumper (no problem, just little tabs you push). A little more involved is you need to loosen the entire front nose and slide it forward on the frame a few inches. Then you put the hooks on, slide the nose back and your done.

Sounds like you would be messing with airbag sensors, etc, but your not (those are inside the frame area), it's a pretty easy install. I would get the ford ones though, why not have hooks that match the car and are made to fit the taps in the frame after spending all that money on the car? :confused:

Back