Front Valence for Ford Explorer Sport 2013 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Valence for Ford Explorer Sport 2013

chubacca

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey Everyone,

I live up in the midwest and this year when we received a ton of snow, the mound at the end of my driveway from the snowplow tore off the front plastic piece of the bottom of my vehicle (the mound of snow was only a foot and a half high, so I figured my explorer could make it, apparently not). Anyways, I had my vehicle serviced yesterday for a regular oil change and I asked them if they would remove the rest of the front valence as a few pieces of it was still attached.

They removed the valence, however they also removed what I believe is the turbo engine intake on the front bottom of the car. It is a little thin plastic rectangle that kind of stems off. They threw it in the back of my car and said I should be good to go; didn't really think much about this at the time, but when I got back home I was looking at the part and it clearly states the piece is used for cooling the engine and should be placed back on after every regular servicing of the engine.

Needless to say, I called the dealer, the lady on the phone was extremely rude and unhelpful about why this was done. I am curious if this is something that I should have replaced back on my car or if it can safely be left off.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
-Chubacca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will it hurt the vehicle if left off for awhile, probably not imo.
But you definitely should put it back on since it is there to cool the vehicle. I believe its generally used for towing. Real easy to snap back into place, there are three clips that you rotate into place and thats it.

I believe it's an intake for cooling the transmission, optional on vehicles with the tow pack and standard on Sports.

I've always disliked the front valance - I think it's far too low and always catches on curbs when parking. On my last two Explorer's I've removed it and trimmed off the left and right side 'extensions' so it's a consistent size/depth before refitting it. Unless you're really looking hard it still looks like it did from the factory but it gives me a few extra inches of ground clearance over curbs and piles of snow in winter.

PS Someone is sure to come along as tell you that the valance is there to improve aerodynamics and removing/trimming it will affect your fuel consumption. Don't believe a bit of it - there's zero affect on real world driving.

It is for the engine oil cooler. In your case, it also brings the air to the back of the car to cool the turbo. It only matters if you're driving the Sport harshly or not.

I've always disliked the front valance - I think it's far too low and always catches on curbs when parking. On my last two Explorer's I've removed it and trimmed off the left and right side 'extensions' so it's a consistent size/depth before refitting it. Unless you're really looking hard it still looks like it did from the factory but it gives me a few extra inches of ground clearance over curbs and piles of snow in winter.

Do you have a picture of what the front of your car looks like with the valence removed? Mine looks really jagged/rough without the front valence, curious if they have a plastic piece to cover up where the valence is bolted to the vehicle?

[MENTION=111272]ever[/MENTION]yone, really appreciate the information on this. I will definitely snap it back into place this evening! :)

Thanks again everyone!
-Chubacca

Do you have a picture of what the front of your car looks like with the valence removed? Mine looks really jagged/rough without the front valence, curious if they have a plastic piece to cover up where the valence is bolted to the vehicle?

[MENTION=111272]ever[/MENTION]yone, really appreciate the information on this. I will definitely snap it back into place this evening! :)

Thanks again everyone!
-Chubacca
Since the lower air dam or valance is designed to be part of the vehicle, I doubt that there are any OEM parts made for what you want. Also, it appears that the turbo cooling opening is part of that valance. I'm not sure if it would stay where it is without it. I don't have it so I can't tell.
Here is another thread with pictures;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372144&highlight=front+dam

Peter

Since the lower air dam or valance is designed to be part of the vehicle, I doubt that there are any OEM parts made for what you want. Also, it appears that the turbo cooling opening is part of that valance. I'm not sure if it would stay where it is without it. I don't have it so I can't tell.

Peter

I had been driving around for about 400 miles before it was manually taken off at the service visit this week. Seemed to feel very attached/solid when I lost the valence, didn't have much worries it would fall off by how well it held on.

Peter

The turbo cooling duct is not part if the valance. It is separate and held on--like others mentioned with three dzus-like fasteners.

I would re-install it as it does help cool the rear turbo--and keep underhood temperatures in check.

They removed the ducting that hangs underneath the engine that scoops air from the front valance and sends it to the Power Transfer Unit to assist in cooling it.

SPORT gets its standard, all other models get it with tow package.

It gets removed when they do an oil change at service because it blocks the access to the filter. Very easy to re-install with quick thumb screws holding it on.

Get it put back on for sure.

So how come does it come with other models which have tow package? So it must have something to do with towing.

On the sport it helps cool the rear turbo. On tow models with AWD it helps cool the ptu.

So how come does it come with other models which have tow package? So it must have something to do with towing.
Kpwweb has answered the question. And that is also why I specifically mentioned that it hasn't anything to do with towing on the Sport model.

Peter

I should have clarified, I removed the valance, trimmed it, and put it back on.

If you look at yours there are little winglets on the left and right hand side, about 2" deep and maybe 18" long - I cut those off so the valance is the same depth all the way across the front of the vehicle. I then reattached it. Probably took about an hour to do in total.

Unless you really know what the front of a 5th gen's front valance is supposed to look like you would never notice the difference.

When you tow, your transmission gets hotter, thus needs additional cooling....

Lower valance removal/install

Hi all, My 2012 Limited had a scratched up and damaged valance on the front bumper. I purchased a new one online.

Anyone here has instructions on removal and install?
I did the search around here but not much info could be found.

thanks

Hi all, My 2012 Limited had a scratched up and damaged valance on the front bumper. I purchased a new one online.

Anyone here has instructions on removal and install?
I did the search around here but not much info could be found.

thanks
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one. I suggest that you send a PM to the poster of post 15 and inquire about his procedure. It seems that he has removed and installed the valance a couple of times. Good luck.

Peter

Back