front wheel bearing replacement frozen hub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front wheel bearing replacement frozen hub

Captainzero

Reaction score
City, State
centerville, ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer
help-trying to replace driver's side wheel bearing on my '08 explorer eddie bauer. took all the brake stuff off and the hub bolts but stupid hub is frozen on and won't come loose. tried using the hub puller from rental shop but all it did was screw up the spline and get stuck. what to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the reply but hammer and chisel popped the unit of the mounting bracket after being soaked in PB Blaster. now i have to replace the drive shaft 'cause the stupid directions on the hub puller never said not to use it on a frozen hub! so much for being a newbie on wheel bearing replacement. but i should be primed and ready for when the passenger side goes.

They are a pain. the steel hub in the aluminum knuckle corrodes and causes the hub to stick. I had to use a propane torch to warm the knuckle and a slide hammer to release the passenger side on my '03.

torching the unit was going to be my next step if wonking on it with the chisel hadn't worked. i hope removing/replacing the cv axle isn't as much of a pain as the hub was.

Back