• Register Today It's free!

Front wiper problems...

Darrman

Reaction score
City, State
Waxahachie, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4/2001 Sport
I went to use the front wipers and fluid to wash the dirt off the windshield earlier, and at first things were working great. But I saw that first the passenger side fluid jet stopped working, then drivers side stopped spraying and started just dribbling out. Then to finish off the act, the wipers quit working! Damn I cant believe this crap. Anyways, the wipers will only work if I switch them off and on, which will move them about 2 inches at a time then they stop again and there is a click. I figure the washer pump is shot, and yes the resevior is full, but what is the deal with the wipers? What are the odds of a wiper motor and washer pump going out at the same time? Any ideas? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spray problem: dust or dirt in the water clogged the nozzle.

As for the wiper motor………check for power and check the attached connecting wires and ground. IF it don’t work w/ a jump wire…..it’s possibly time to look for a new one.

Aloha, Mark

Multifunction stalk is probably bad. I believe it affects the older Expos too.

Ok, I went out a checked again, when it was still light outside this time. The wipers do still work, but only in hi or lo, whenever you set the custom speed, it will move a couple inches, then stop, then whenever its supposed to move again it will twitch. Everytime it stops there is a click. Also whenever you push the switch in for fluid and wipe, it does wipe, but when you let go it will just stop wherever, instead of returning to the bottom of the windshield.
As for the washer pump, it is humming, but it is pretty much just gurgling out, no spray, but I will try to clean out the jets this weekend to see if that will solve that problem.
Is the wiper relay in the switch, or is it somewhere else? Thanks.

hate to ask this but did you check the winsheild washer fluid level?

Lol, first message, I figured someone would ask. I wish it was that easy, but no.

If you hear clicking, the motor is likely bad.

How do you change the motor in a 91 explorer? I bought the motor but have no idea how to change it or even where it is. Can someone please help me here. I really do not want to take it to a shop. Thank you Darcie.

My Haynes book says;

1 Turn the windshield wiper switch on.
2 Turn the ignition switch on and keep your hand on the key. When the wiper arms move to the straight up position, turn the ignition switch off.
3 Disconnect the battery negative cable from the battery.
4 Remove the right side wiper arm and blade assembly.
5 Remove the pivot nut from the right side linkage post. Allow the linkage to drop down into the cowl.
6 Remove the wiper linkage access cover. Reach through the access opening and unsnap the wiper motor Clip.
7 Push the clip away from the linkage until it clears the crank pin nib, then push the clip off the linkage.
8 Remove the wiper linkage from the motor crankpin.
9 Disconnect the electrical connector from the motor.
10 Remove the screws securing the motor and remove the motor (see Illustration).
11 Installation is the reverse of the removal steps. Make sure the wiper blades are in the parked position before attaching the linkage to the motor.

I would post a picture from the book but I don't know if that's allowed here

anyways I couldn't post it i'm just a wannable

Thank you I will try this in the am tomorrow. Thanks again I may figure this out sooner or later :)

Its not hard, but if you dont have some long skinny arms like me, you may be in trouble. You have to take the plate off of the firewall and stick your arm back there to pull and reinstall the retainer clip, it was a pain, literally.
Thats what my problem turned out to be, burnt up motor.

Your problem is most likely the motor. This is common, they work in high speed and don't in low/intermittent. This only lasts a short time, then they don't work at all.

I did this job once, swore up, down, and sideways I'd NEVER, EVER do it again on a Gen 1 Explorer. My hands are too big, I lost that ^%$# clip, had to go to the dealer in the middle of the job, etc.

Unless you have the hands of a midget and the patience of a saint, take it to a shop. Otherwise, the money you save will be worth far less than the sanity you'll lose...

Mike

lol, I had scrape marks on the inside of my elbow for a couple weeks after that one. Between it and the fuel pump, I think I would torch the truck before changing them again.

I wish it was as funny as it sounds, I still twitch when I think about this experience, and it was over two years ago. I can still feel the pain on the back of my hands from trying to jam them in there.

Notice I said I "lost" the clip? I didn't drop it, it went shooting off when I tried to reinstall, and got lost in the nether regions of the engine. Idiot Ford engineers couldn't use a simple nut or even a common c-clip...

Mike

Idiot Ford engineers couldn't use a simple nut or even a common c-clip...

Nope, that would make life easier, and that is not the goal of Ford engineers. Their shared goal is to make a simple act turn into a all day event, along with cursing and bleeding.

Back