Fuel Consumption rising and a few other things | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Consumption rising and a few other things

ga_sport4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I have changed the oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, flushed the transmission, replaced the air filter, replaced spark plugs (huge pain replacing 2 of the plugs),pcv valve, and replaced the fuel filter. And I am still only getting around 12.5-13 miles per gallon in the city. I was rear ended about 2 months ago. My Explorer ran as it did prior to accident once i finally got it from the shop, except for the low gas miledge. The plug wires have not been replaced, but other than the plug wires, is there any advice on how I can obtain normal gas consumption.

A few other things that I have noticed with my truck are:

1. Horrible start ups: RPM's shoot to 2k then to 500, then back to 2k and so forth for a few minutes. That is if it doesnt stall out.

2. A "clunk" noise when i put the car into Reverse or Drive

3. Gears shift smoothly except from 2nd to 3rd. This is more noticable on an incline.

4. My new brakes squeek

5. Sometimes there is a slight whining noise that seems to be coming from the wheel area.

Any input to what is actually going on or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a fuel pressure regulator and throttle posiition sensor for starters. Both are cheap and easy to fix. I'd start there. Any poss damage to fuel pump with the hit?? How are your wires?

Thanks

Thanks for the input. The wires look good. As for your suggestions, I will certainly check into them and let you you know how things are going.

2. Mine does it too, just live with it. I'm not going to even try to venture into what it might be or how much it costs....

5. I was just complaining about this...it's the dust seals and ford needs to have a recall.

you know 98's seem to be a really, very bad year...

I think the clunck may be the universal joint, but when it comes to mechanical work my thoughts usually don't mean much. I'm just starting to do the mechanical work on my truck, so my abilities are rather limited.

Just a little reminder: If you're in an area w/ oxygenated gas, mileage drops a bit for the winter months. My had been getting around 15.5, and when the change hit went to about 14, and when I put the lund covers over the grill openings (for cold weather warm ups) went to 12.5-13.5. I've since removed the grill covers and gone back to 14-14.8.

ga, for #2 I also second the idea of the uv joints. It is rare, but the late shift or clunk could be the vacuum diaphragm that sits on the tranny pan (at least in my 91 it does). Check to see if you have one. I had bad shifts in really cold weather but a couple of tranny fluid, filter changes within a couple thousand miles had me running perfect again. I got lucky...

You could also lube the ball stud on the trans linkage mear the pan, but I don't know if it'll solve your problem. I think that constant fluid level checks and changes are your best PM.

Worn out oxygen sensors can also cause reduction in mileage. I don't think anyone mentioned this in this thread.

I'm taking my X to the shop tomorrow to have the rear pinion seal replaced by the insurance company's preferred shop, so I think i'm going to have them see what Trouble codes they can produce as well. Thanks again for the input, and I will let everyone know the outcome of the shop visit. Ohh. I just received a recall on the Throttle Body Plate. I have an idea what it does, but does anyone have insight to as why Ford is recalling the Body Plate?

The idle problem may be related to your Idle Air Control (IAC). It has been the subject of a lot of threads lately. Try cleaning it. Search for IAC for info.

Are you sure the hit to the rear didn't cause the driveshaft to get pushed back into the tranny? A hit like that may not look bad on the outside, but can do a lot of unseen damage......

It seems to me that the 98's+ have a lot more problems than the 95-97, regarding reparing things and such. Does anyone else agree? or am i a morron? :)

I just took the explorer to the shop to learn that they haven't gained the insurance company's permission to fix the rear pinion seal. Thanks for making me take a day off of work to learn such.
So, I shoot across the street to the Ford Dealership. The rep. told me that I have several recalls that have not been repaired. So first, I'm going to have the recalls updated. 2nd clean the IAC (and the throttle body area if the dealership doesnt do it while replacing the Throttle Body Plate) 3rd resort to hooking my truck to the Scanner. Amsoil Foam seems to be the best for cleaning the throttle body according to my search. What is the best cleaner for the Throttle body area? After all, there is that sticker that warns of the protective coating withing the throttle body?

Yeah, dont clean your throttle body dude. Some say you can clean the IAC... its cheap enough to replace. Definitely replace both o2 sensors. Pricey but I bet you ten bucks it fixes your mileage problem. Definitely scan codes!

Your startup sounds to me like 1. Fuel Pressure Regulator 2. Vacuum leak at tree (listen for a hissing).

i cleaned my throttle body and im glad i did. it made it idle smoother. and really do you want your truck sucking in that black crap?

96limitedX said:
i cleaned my throttle body and im glad i did. it made it idle smoother. and really do you want your truck sucking in that black crap?

What I should say is... if your TB has a yellow sticker saying not to clean it, dont. My suggestion. It has a special coating in there.

Before replacing your TPS, there is an easy way to test it to see if you are in the correct range.

urbanistic said:
What I should say is... if your TB has a yellow sticker saying not to clean it, dont. My suggestion. It has a special coating in there.

Before replacing your TPS, there is an easy way to test it to see if you are in the correct range.

yeah i saw the sticker. and its a like teflon coating or somthing. but what i found out is if it needs cleaning ford wants you to bring it to them to have them clean it for a price. why pay for it when you can do it yourself. i have noticed no differance in how much crap it collects. IMO and some others its just a scary sticker :eek:

Many cleaning products out now are specificly designed for such applications. They say so right on the can.

Back