fuel filter replacement~'02 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter replacement~'02 Ranger

Halfnuts

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ranger XLT
I've got the funny little scissor-looking tool that is commonly used on these "Not-so" quick-disconnect jobs, but that doesn't seem to be the right tool for the job on my 2002 Ranger. This filter has three ports, what appear to be two inlets and a single out- additionally, there are little colored bands of plastic around each hose connection... can anyone tell me how to excise this stock plastic filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That little scissor looking tool will probably be needed for one of the ports if it is the right size. The other two will most likely have clips that need to be removed or at least moved to release the connectors. At least that is the way mine was. I don't know why Ford put two different type of connectors on the filter. Good luck with it.

i got it figured out with some help from the dudes over at TRS. You push in on the colored bands and the lines just pop out- it's really quite easy... In a covered-in-gasoline kind of way.

Thanks folks, finished b-in-lws truck in 20 min. start to finish, with no gas soak.Drive way has a grade, jacked up driver side, placed stand(1), placed drain(LARGE), moved mysef forward of firter, reach around frame and disassembled lines (after removing 13 mm nut), a little fussy, just wiggle and pull while pushing colored clips inward. pulled other (single outlet) clip out, droped into catch all, installed new filter, fired her up and checked for leaks. Done. Then he tells me check engine light has been on for weeks!!!!!

Just read reply from Red FX4. I used to live @1774 cresmount drive off 18th st. Costa Mesa, swam at the Boys Club across from the F-85 jet and ball park.

Back