• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter replacement

Rick98

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD
My next door neighbor recently bought a 2004 explorer sport track 4x4 with the 4.0 v6. He called me yesterday and asked if I could do some work for him and I did. I gave it a tune up and an oil change and few other small things. This is the funny part. I was asked to replace the filter because he told me he went on a trip to visit family in mexico and the filter was clogged. Remember this was in mexico. The guy who changed it never depressurized the line and got a burst of gas in his face and he installed a completely different filter. The two hoses on the filter are being held together by wire because I was told they kept popping off. SO I dont know what to do. I need to know what rely unnder the hood is the one for the fuel pump and I never changed a filter that require a disconnect tool. Im stumped. Plus, I dont know if the hoses have stretched out and cause a leak when the new one gets installed due to the wrong filter. I need big time help on this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel line looks like this on the inside:

Fordfuellinespring.jpg

Get a set of these:

88_1.jpg
otc-7361.gif

Fuel System Pressure Release
WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.

NOTE: The fuel pump relay is located in the battery junction box location C-1051.

Remove the fuel pump relay.
Start the engine and allow it to idle until it stalls.
After the engine stalls, crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds to make sure the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been released.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
When the fuel system service is complete, install the fuel pump relay.
NOTE: It may take more than one key cycle to pressurize the fuel system.

Cycle the ignition key and wait three seconds to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting the engine.
Start the vehicle and check the fuel system for leaks.

Battery Junction Box"

2004BJB.gif

Fuel Filter 33243 Wix or FG1083 Motorcraft

You are awesome!! All the information I needed is here. Thanks

The fuel line looks like this on the inside:

Fordfuellinespring.jpg

Get a set of these:

88_1.jpg
otc-7361.gif

Fuel System Pressure Release
WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.

WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.

NOTE: The fuel pump relay is located in the battery junction box location C-1051.

Remove the fuel pump relay.
Start the engine and allow it to idle until it stalls.
After the engine stalls, crank the engine for approximately 5 seconds to make sure the fuel injection supply manifold pressure has been released.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
When the fuel system service is complete, install the fuel pump relay.
NOTE: It may take more than one key cycle to pressurize the fuel system.

Cycle the ignition key and wait three seconds to pressurize the fuel system. Check for leaks before starting the engine.
Start the vehicle and check the fuel system for leaks.

Battery Junction Box"

2004BJB.gif

Fuel Filter 33243 Wix or FG1083 Motorcraft

Nope, I left out the paper towels/rags for your armpits. Gas ALWAYS runs to your armpits!!

i just changed out my fuel filter on my 99 and i changed my brothers girlfriends on her 05 last week. I never "depressurised" the system and never had fuel blow all over the place. A little bit runs out but thats it. I have never had fuel blow out on any FI vehicle while changing the fuel filters.. Weird huh

let the vehicle sit for 5 minutes and you dont have to depressurise a thing. Changed out many a fuel filter and never had a blow out. A little fuel runs out but you will have that any way you toss it

let the vehicle sit for 5 minutes and you dont have to depressurize a thing. Changed out many a fuel filter and never had a blow out. A little fuel runs out but you will have that any way you toss it

That's the way I do it too. The pressure will bleed off.

I have another question. In the new filter box I saw some black clips on the bottom of the box. Are they important? I hvent had a chance to look at everything and I also dont know is the new filter just gets snapped in by slipping the quick connects on the two ends of the filter.

Those clips were used prior to the "spring-loc" lines they use now. Not sure why they put them in the box as all applications for that filter use spring-locs.

Thanks everyone for replying. I changed my fuel filter and it wasn't too bad. The metal quick connect took me about 20 minutes to release. Other than that it was a breeze. Thanks again

Back