• Register Today It's free!

Fuel filter retainer clips

Rebel4Ever

Reaction score
City, State
Parachute, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer
I have a 1994 Explorer and am about to do a fuel filter replacement. Upon researching and learning how to do one (cuz I'm a girl and just learning lol) I've read that the retainer clips should be replaced each time you replace the filter.
So my question is: are they universal in size and type? I can't find any specifications specific for my year truck. Anyone able to share their knowledge with me?
Thanks in advance!
~ Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No need to replace the clips. You will need fuel line quick connect tools, the best I have found are from harbor freight (only time I've ever said that). Just pop the clips off with a screwdriver, then use the disconnect tool to pull the fuel line off. Its usually a little bit of a fight to get quick connects off.

Before you start you can pull your fuel pump relay out, and start the truck, then let it idle until it dies. This gets as much fuel out of the lines as possible. There will be some gas in the line still, so be aware of that.

Finding the right size disconnect tool is key. I ended up buying 2 as the first one was WAY too large. On both of my Explorers, I never replaced the clips, just the filter. It can be a pain to get the disconnect tool in place if it's covered in dust/dirt/mud. If it is, an air compressor and/or some penetrating oil would help. Rotating the fuel lines on the filter might help to break loose some crud. The best way I can describe it is to insert the disconnect tool and rotate it as you push the line into it, rather than grabbing the filter and pushing the disconnect tool into the line (chasing it). Basically, it helps to relieve tension on the internal plastic clips by pushing the line and filter together while you insert the disconnect tool. This all probably sounds complicated but once you get under and start poking at it, it'll make sense.

I personally never emptied the fuel rail/lines when working on any fuel system. There's just not much in the line and chances are you will get some on you anyway. One less step than disabling the pump. Though, that is the recommended safe thing to do.

I second getting a quick release tool. The metal kind. It will take some wiggling and swearing, but you'll do fine. Don't worry about those clips.

Here's my tips: There is a switch under the carpet just under the dash on the passenger side. Disconnect it. Start the truck. It'll stall in a few seconds. Crank it a few more times until it doesnt start at all. This takes the pressure out of the line so it doesn't spray you. Get a bucket or a storage tub or something to catch the gas that comes out of the lines when you get the filter off. Be careful not to get it in your eyes or anything. You WILL get some on you though. Then just put it back as it was before.

Make sure to put the filter in the right direction. It's marked, don't worry. Plug that switch back in put the carpet down and fire it up. You're done! :)

All great advice, and I would add purchasing and using some good quality one-time use 'rubber' gloves (the thin ones). Not to keep your hands clean but to give better grip and help prevent cuts.

Back