Fuel Gauge Readings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Gauge Readings

Me too. 2013 Sport with 18,000mi, and this past fillup it only registered 1/2 tank (165 mi to EMPTY). then, after half a day, it fixed itself.
Stuck Sender float?
Must be the new $239.9/gal "Sticky fuel".

2.39? It's well below 2.00 here. In fact, one of the gas stations did a promotion for .99/gal from 10-2 the other day.

Interested to see the findings here, though. I'd have to guess it's the sending unit coupled with all the electronics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sticky Fuel

MarkM, Ya gotta PAY MORE for the really "Sticky Stuff"; (no salt, lo-fat, glutten free, organically refined, kale based, Go Juice.). California does not come cheap. Too many "nannys" arrived to tax and horn in on the easy-life.

Dealer checked mine , it was the sending unit . $100 under ESP .

I just posted about this in another thread. I call it a Phantom Fill Up.

I could really use some advice on fixing this. I have a 2013 Explorer Limited 3.5L. A few months ago, I may have (probably did) leave the vehicle running when I filled up the gas tank. Now my gas gauge shows 3/4 tank full when I fill it up. It usually says about 260 miles til empty. I ran it down until it said 2 miles until empty and when I went to fill it up, it will only take about 12 or 13 gallons of gas. I believe it has a 18 gallon gas tank? I've started to carry 2 gal of gas with me bc I typically go 100 miles or so every day. I'm a DIY'er but I'm not dropping the tank. I know my limits. Will running out of gas, then adding my 2 gallons fix the gauge or the float? I don't like the idea of running out because it may jack up other stuff. I've searched the google but didn't find any help. is there an access to the fuel pump? any help is appreciated

I could really use some advice on fixing this. I have a 2013 Explorer Limited 3.5L. A few months ago, I may have (probably did) leave the vehicle running when I filled up the gas tank. Now my gas gauge shows 3/4 tank full when I fill it up. It usually says about 260 miles til empty. I ran it down until it said 2 miles until empty and when I went to fill it up, it will only take about 12 or 13 gallons of gas. I believe it has a 18 gallon gas tank? I've started to carry 2 gal of gas with me bc I typically go 100 miles or so every day. I'm a DIY'er but I'm not dropping the tank. I know my limits. Will running out of gas, then adding my 2 gallons fix the gauge or the float? I don't like the idea of running out because it may jack up other stuff. I've searched the google but didn't find any help. is there an access to the fuel pump? any help is appreciated
Welcome to the Forum Jim. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the handy 'Search' feature at the top right.
I don't know if running it out of gas would solve the issue or not. If this is something you are thinking of doing, be sure that you have the OEM funnel with you in order to put the gas into the tank. BTW, the Explorer does have a reserve of about 2 gallons if I recall correctly.
As for getting at the fuel pump, you would have to lower the tank itself as the pump is on top of it, or as one member did, you could cut out a piece of the floor to access the pump. ecoboost_xsport consolidated build/maintenance thread

Peter

Any idea's? any body?

Back