Front end work | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end work

Did you see the video from the "king of the hammers" event last week? 50 mile race through the desert. Part of the race went through a bunch of the trails out at the hammers. The video on it is sweet.
Sorry, thats what I meant by "KOH" -- king of hammers :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin good RJ, TTB pride:cool: I'm curious to see how that D44 axleshaft works out...might have to build up a new set of beams again myself:D

So that "intermediary shaft" I'm assuming is the passenger side stub shaft youre talking about. What are you going to do about the driver's side needing a longer shaft?

thanks josh.

well i don't need a longer drivers side axle since im widening by the pivots. so it'll move the pumpkin out a bit and limit up travel, but i'll only need the longer pass side axle :thumbsup:

don't know when i'll get back/start working on these again. been kinda busy with working on the dd explorer, the black explorer lighting on fire, getting the navajo to McNeiloff-road, wrecking my shoulder from bike riding, being sick, and school

Man sucks about the shoulder. Been there and it sucks.

Im excited about your build

yeah it happened last thursday and it was hurting pretty bad. came in front wheel first and went over the bars to my shoulder. still hurts to put a t-shirt on, but it's doing better.

thanks josh.

well i don't need a longer drivers side axle since im widening by the pivots. so it'll move the pumpkin out a bit and limit up travel, but i'll only need the longer pass side axle

gotcha, how much are you widening...any little bit will kill your bumptravel pretty quick by my drunken mental calculations...on a side note my weird radius arm design worked out great as the beams hit the frame before the arms do;):thumbsup:

good luck on the experiment, glad to see you getting a cage done soon...me and my passengers were lucky enough not to get hurt before I took my truck down for the rebuild and cage.

I widened mine 1-1/4" at the pivots with no problems. I have a widened pass shaft tho. At 4-5" wider I reckon it will really hurt your uptravel with the diffy........

im only going 2.5"s on each side. i've read that 1.5" is the max you can go without the diff hitting the frame/crossmember.

cleaned them up a little today
056.jpg

IMG_0663Medium.jpg

Damn it almost looks like you polished then with a buffer

picked this up from the off-road swap meet today so now i can tack some stuff up. no im NOT doing final welds with this baby welder, just tacking things in place :thumbsup:

IMG_0666-1.jpg

finally started doing some work

the cut
081.jpg

2.5" insert
082.jpg

tacked ( yeah its not perfectly square)
083.jpg
084.jpg
085.jpg

nice. I used one of those Lincolns before, lots of birds nests, but I think it was f'd up. So you going to do some trussing on that beam too?

It makes sense now, go 2" wider and only replace 1 shaft. I like it. Might have to look into that mod. What about coils and shock mounting is that all coming back in 2"?

O snap! No going back.

its a nice welder for little sstuff in the garage, but with my welding its just goobers everywhere :rolleyes:

trussing and plating will come after i mock this whole thing up and make sure it all works together right.

got the other side done. since i have an extra set of d28 beams laying around, i cut a section out of it to use instead of just using flat stock and bending it to the right shape :thumbsup:

IMG_0678Medium.jpg

091.jpg
092.jpg
093.jpg
094.jpg
095.jpg
096.jpg

tomorrow i'll take them to a friend to get the final weld on them.

of course i can go back, i'd just have to cut and weld back to stock width ;)

Nice work! Thats a clean cut.

May I suggest something -- fish plate sandwich (back, front) in that area you cut.

it'll be plated on the back and boxed in on the back. wasn't planning on plating the front though. but hopefully i'll have enough clearance to run the truss on the diff side beam all the up and over the extended area

took em to my friend and got em welded up. now i need to mock it up and make sure everything works together right :thumbsup:

097.jpg
098.jpg
099.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! my grinder stop working! the world is coming to an end!!!

Back