Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Fuel Injection Cleaning question:

Are the store bought additives just as
good as getting a "fuel injection
cleaning" service at a shop. An opinion
I received says to use something like
Chevron Techron(?or some name similar to this) unless I am experiencing some rough idle problems, that I am wasting money on a 10 minute low cost-high markup project at a shop.

thanks in advance.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I got mine done at a shop for around $80 and it seemed to help, although mine werent terribly dirty. The shop will always do a better job with that machine they have were it directly cleans them. The additives don't do as good of a job but I think they work to an extent. If you change your fuel filter you can always dump a bunch of that additive into the filter and reconnect it. I hear thats how ford sometimes cleans out the injectors.

Every time I change my oil, I add a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. I have a S10 and a Mustang with over 120,000 miles each, and I havent had any problems with plugged injectors.

Fuel additives are great as long as you use the right one. granted when you pressure clean the injectors directly they will come out cleaner, but not all of us have $80 to spend (I am a broke college kid trying to work and coach my way through school). The best stuff i ever used was made by VP racing. its 12.99 a bottle and you can get it at autozone. i use it in my exploder every other oil change and i have no problems with rough idle or a sooty tailpipe.

stay away from stp and gumout because they are nothing more than kerosene. open one up and take a whiff.

i know on the throttle body itself it warns against spraying anything into the intake, but i ignored it and sprayed about half a can of VP's carb cleaner through the system while it was running. I forgot to open up the garage door before i did this and i smoked myself out, but anyways, i have gained about 10% better milage and the truck runs 100 times smoother. It burned all the carbon deposit off the top of the valves.

just my two cents and advice

yah, i usually put in a fuel additive at every oil change too. (i also use premium gas because of my chip, but it burns 'cleaner' too.)

Back