Fuel injection system cleaner bottle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel injection system cleaner bottle

bounsoul

Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS
Question- has anyone bought one of those $200-$300 fuel injector system cleaner bottles that you hang from the hood and run injector cleaner through your vaccum line? I was thinking of purchasing it being as I was charged 60 bucks for this service. If you have one, can you go through the process of what you actually do for this type of cleaning? The way they did it was not through the fuel system, it was through the vaccum line so I am guessing it is easier and less dangerous than other systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Injector cleaner through a vacuum line? You sure it wasn't hooked to the fuel rail? It wouldn't clean the injectors unless it ran through them.

For that price you can almost buy new injectors if you shop around. In my experience it's rare to have to replace or clean injectors if you run a bottle of cleaner (in your gas tank) through them a couple times a year.

the injector cleaner systems that you hang from the hood and run the vehicle off of do connect to the fuel rail.

there was a thread about it somewhat recently. I've done it a few times (injectors had over 200k miles on them).. The Ford motorcraft cleaner was about $90/bottle..

~Mark

51Qbbn3ji0L._SL500_AA250_.jpg

This type (OTC) can run thru the vacuum line with adapter hose - similar to manually feeding seafoam in as mentioned in several threads here, cleaning the combustion chamber.
It also can be pressurized with your air compressor, using special fuel injector cleaner and connected to the fuel rail - pinching off the return line and running pure cleaner thru.
Is it worth it? If you work on cars, then it may pay for itself.

I dumped about 1/3 of a can of seafoam to 1/4 tank of gas and ran it and it cleans fine for my injectors and i have a 1993 XL 4.0 that was never treated for such a treatment that i know of, well i did use STP last year and it helped, but that seafoam worked nice and since i just did the fuel rail gasket. I also replaced the O-rings on my injectors and they are clean as a whistle and i only seafoamed them the week prior to doing this other work.

There was no deposits on the end on the injectors at all and all holes appeared to be clean.

I will be running seafoam again in tank in about a months time to help keep injectors clean and fuel lines from tarnish as well as the fuel rail inside.

I love seafoam now as it did clean my combustion chambers fairly well i used the rest of the can after using 1/3 into tank, but because they were never cleaned for 15 years there is still some oil residue in the intake and plenum, but i will clean them as much as i can before i complete the rest of my work under the hood.

Here is a link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1907044#post1907044 to my recent thread on my work thusfar and pics show some of the yucky stuff oil can leave behind, over all the engine oil and filter was changed every year since the truck was new (and its really clean evn the oil today was still not bad). Today i changed the oil and filter again (this was after 7000K), now all i am waiting for is my valves covers to arrive so i can put the driverside back together as my old one was rotted out and leaking.

Back