Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys,
I changed my injectors out this past weekend on the explorer with cleaned and reflowed ones. Today while I driving I noticed there was a faint fuel smell inside the cabin of the truck. When I popped the hood, I got hit with a big smell of it. I looked on the passenger side of the motor toward the back injector- there was a little puddle of fuel. I don’t know if that puddle is from fuel that leaked when I pulled the old injectors, or if there is a leak around the seals of the new injectors? (It’s been a solid 48 hours now since the injectors were replaced)

Now, when I pulled the old injectors a lot of fuel did spill out but I figured it might evaporate under the heat under the hood? How can I tell if fuel is leaking beyond the seals at all? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One time when I replaced injectors I also had a leak on one. In my case is was the passenger/rear one. Turns out the o-ring at the top of the injector ripped as I put the fuel rail on. You can buy the o-rings at most auto parts stores. Since then, I put some cooking oil on the o-rings before I install them so they don't bind/rip.

Also, a small puddle will dry up pretty quickly, especially once the motor gets warm so if you still seeing puddles, you have a leak.

~Mark

One time when I replaced injectors I also had a leak on one. In my case is was the passenger/rear one. Turns out the o-ring at the top of the injector ripped as I put the fuel rail on. You can buy the o-rings at most auto parts stores. Since then, I put some cooking oil on the o-rings before I install them so they don't bind/rip.

Also, a small puddle will dry up pretty quickly, especially once the motor gets warm so if you still seeing puddles, you have a leak.

~Mark

Dang it, that sounds like the injector I am having a problem with. The passenger side rear one since that’s where the puddle looks like it’s from.

How did you find out which injector was leaking? The cooking oil is a great idea. I was using WD-40 on the seals, but I will switch to cooking oil this time. Pardon me for my lack of cooking knowledge, but is olive oil, cooking oil? :p

Dang dang dang. Now I have to take off the upper-intake again. Talk about no fun at all.

Also, is there a threat of a motor fire? I cannot get under the hood until this weekend.

Is there anyway to test the fuel rails to ensure everything is good before reassembling the entire upper intake manifold?

Well, Yes, there is a risk, but I have driven pretty far on a fuel leak before, but I don't think I'd do that in my older age..

As for finding the leak, we just kept turning the key to on/off/on etc to get the fuel pump to pressurize the system and then used a mirror and flashlight and paper towels to find it. The paper towels actually worked the best. Just push it down around each injector and when it comes up wet, that the leaking injector.

As for which oil... I've used vegtable and olive oil on the injector o-rings now. Basically, I'm just trying NOT to use petroleum based oil.

~Mark

Oh no! Now you’re scaring me. What’s even scarier is this is my daily driver, and I cannot get under the hood until this weekend.

The papertowel trick is a very good idea! I never thought of that. I was thinking- if I buy an O ring kit, I may as well replace all the orings on the injectors on a particular fuel rail since I have to break the seal anyway. Thanks- this really sucks :-/

Back