Fuel leak, Schrader valve

NCostello

Reaction score
City, State
San Lorenzo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer xlt 4w
Hi everyone!
I just had my 1991 Explorer XLT 4wd pushrod engine rebuilt (4.0) and when we tried to start it, fuel gushed out of fuel rail area (Schrader valve missing) but he also noticed that something is missing on the fuel pressure regulator valve. There is a hole with a little o ring on it. Does anyone know what goes there? My Ford book doesn't say.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a picture?

Do you have a picture?
This is the part. The hole with the O ring is the 1 in question.
Screenshot_20210113-160003_Google.jpg

Doesn’t that o ring part fit into the fuel rail?

i don’t have a 91 so I’m gonna bow out of this one
If you could post a pic of your actual FPR attached to your actual fuel rail it would help much more.

The regulator has a pressure port, return port, and a vacuum control port. The O-ring port is the pressure side port and seats in the fuel rail. It is held in there by the two mounting bolts. Is your FRP just laying loose? You're right on the other two, the thread port is the return, the smaller port obviously the vacuum.

Def possible
like I said the o ring port goes into the fuel rail.
flip it around OP and let us know if that works

So yeahhhhhh....it was backwards ☺ in my defense the vacuum hose barely reached when we flipped it correctly so that's probably why it was put on incorrect. As for the schrader valve ....it's actually called a fuel pressure relief valve and I found a part number and ordered it from Ford.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm glad I joined this forum. I've been babying my explorer since 1997 and this site is very helpful!

No shame man we all make mistakes sometimes
glad you got it figured out

Back