• Register Today It's free!

Fuel leak?

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
Found out I have a leak where the fuel pump sits on top of tank. I thought it was the fuel pump gasket was bad, but when I start it the fuel really starts to leak pretty bad. I have quarter tank of gas and its on level ground.

Question is: Im thinking the supply nipples are bad on pump or maybe the fuel lines are bad? Without dropping the tank to see. Is it common on these 1st gens to have bad fuel lines going to pump area? Or maybe just a crack on the pump nipples itself? Or just rusted connections on fuel pump?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lines out of the sending unit should be metal. It is possible that they've corroded, but it makes more sense that the rubber lines are the issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 320

rubber lines? You mean the rubber lines from the fuel cap down to tank? It only leaks when I start it, then leaks, then when i shut if off it stops. It doesnt leak when not running. Its from the top where pump sits. Are there any plastic or rubber connections where the lines meet with pump?

Thanks

The lines out of the sending unit should be metal. It is possible that they've corroded, but it makes more sense that the rubber lines are the issue.

What part # who makes it ? the rubber hose that leaves the pump? return and supply line?

Are those quick disconnect fittings plastic or metal on sending unit?

Looks like:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-206...&parttype=Connector- Fuel Line&origin=keyword

After reading on the wonderful site: My pump didnt go bad first, the nylon line fittings did... Getting to drop tank after 21 yrs YEA YEA... The skid plate is half gone rusted away. If i try to remove tank straps any chance they will break apart?

Hold up. I will eat my hat if it has anything to do with the fuel lines. I have had this exact thing happen twice in the last year, and once 3 years ago. Every single time it was the sending unit that had rotted out. Once the ring rotted away, and caused it to leak around the seal. The other two, the fuel out on the sending unit rusted and burst. When you turn the key, pressure builds, and it just squirts out the rust hole. All times, a new sending unit fixed the problem. I would buy a sending unit with the fuel pump for just over $100. I've had good luck with Airtex/Wells. You will need a new fuel filter to get a warranty as well. The safest way is to drop the gas tank, but it is one of the biggest jobs, on par with pulling the engine. I don't recommend it with a fuel leak, but what I did was cut an access panel under the rear seat. It is very easy and takes less than 10 minutes. I made absolutely sure there was no gasoline on the tank, then sprayed air as I cut.

Hold up. I will eat my hat if it has anything to do with the fuel lines. I have had this exact thing happen twice in the last year, and once 3 years ago. Every single time it was the sending unit that had rotted out. Once the ring rotted away, and caused it to leak around the seal. The other two, the fuel out on the sending unit rusted and burst. When you turn the key, pressure builds, and it just squirts out the rust hole. All times, a new sending unit fixed the problem. I would buy a sending unit with the fuel pump for just over $100. I've had good luck with Airtex/Wells. You will need a new fuel filter to get a warranty as well. The safest way is to drop the gas tank, but it is one of the biggest jobs, on par with pulling the engine. I don't recommend it with a fuel leak, but what I did was cut an access panel under the rear seat. It is very easy and takes less than 10 minutes. I made absolutely sure there was no gasoline on the tank, then sprayed air as I cut.

I came across this: so its one of the 2, lines or what you say.....its bettin time! whats your quess?

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1eyc...leaks-gas-when-running-appears.html#re.v/378/

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

Whoa! Thems 'hat eating' pictures! Is that your pump?

If it is, make sure [MENTION=235549]2stroke[/MENTION] takes a video of his meal. Too bad we didn't get him to clarify the size or type of hat first. :D

Just want to add some good info on 1st gen Gas tanks etc....

Ive called dozen junk yards in the midwest...The one in my backyard said "To find 1st gen tank in good condition is almost impossible" The lock ring fuses together and the tank is shot.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182160

Reading post #1 ,11 and that worked?:scratch: Of course my post is 8 yrs later, but still they look similar. The 2nd gen folks hijacked the thread.

I'm not one to brag, but I was the one that said the metal was rusted and leaking. No hat eating for me. I only know because I've seen it about half a dozen times before. While I hate ford quick connects, I've never seen one leak (at least one snapped in all the way)

Just want to add some good info on 1st gen Gas tanks etc....

Ive called dozen junk yards in the midwest...The one in my backyard said "To find 1st gen tank in good condition is almost impossible" The lock ring fuses together and the tank is shot.

How to: 1st Gen Gas Tank Fuel Pump Access Panel

Reading post #1 ,11 and that worked?:scratch: Of course my post is 8 yrs later, but still they look similar. The 2nd gen folks hijacked the thread.

I sympathize. I have the same situation: fuel leak in the top of the tank. I took it to my local shop and he used a camera on a snake to get a look at it without dropping the tank and confirmed that the fuel pump mounting flange and locking ring are rusted out. He says that the mounting flange is molded into the plastic tank and that the tank must be replaced. I checked online and none of the usual parts suppliers have tanks for 1st generation Explorers. I found only two possible sources, but haven't called them yet:

Fuel Tanks | Fuel Tank Repairs | Hawthorne, NJ

One Call Fuel Tanks

To do it right I need a new tank, new fuel pump with gasket and locking ring, of course, and new tank straps. (A guy at work with a 94, dropped his tank and just gooped up the fuel pump mount with RTV, but he ended up scrapping the truck shortly thereafter when the transmission blew).

Considering all the rust and the fact that it has 254,000 miles on it, my mechanic doesn't think it's worth fixing, even if a replacement tank could be found. Right now I'm just filling the tank half-way and have no leaks, though I can smell gas fumes.
I love the old truck, but practicality and reality say it time to let her go. I'll try to nurse it through the winter snows, then look for something new in the spring, but what new vehicle could replace a 1st generation Explorer?

What I did was buy a new ford tank $650. I did all the work myself. I bought a NAPA fuel pump sending etc....Its my winter suv I thought it was worth it....You will have to decide yourself.....
Just wanted to tell you Bwana BOB what i did.....

Pick up a “new” rig with decent mileage in a southern state (no rust) for $1k-1.5k

Back