Fuel pressure damper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pressure damper

Daisywheels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT XP SOHC V6
Hi again, still in search for a solution to my very poor performing Explorer. I have the 1999 4.0 SOHC with the fuel pressure damper mounted to the firewall. Question:

Does this damper have any vacuum lines/hoses that are supposed to be attached to it?

Funny think is I found this little black rubber plug on the ground in my driveway. Width of a nickel, length about 1/2 inch, and has a nipple that fits perfectly on the end of the left side of the damper. I have no idea if that plug goes there????? Seems like something should attach there???? I can't find any pictures of the damper because apparently no one sells it.

I am also consistently getting DTC P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input. That makes no sense as I just purchased a new MAF sensor from Rockauto. Help?

Thanks - DW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has vacuum port

Yes, the fuel pressure damper has a port that connects to intake manifold vacuum.
FPDamper.jpg

......I have the 1999 4.0 SOHC with the fuel pressure damper mounted to the firewall......
The fuel pressure dampener is located on the fuel rail,
not on the firewall. Maybe that's something else that
you're referring to...???

Hi Runnin' - Apparently they switched things over starting in 1999. This is what StreetRod said in another thread:

The fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail was replaced in 1999 with a fuel pressure damper when Ford switched to a returnless fuel system. It's between the firewall and the coilpack

The pic Streetrod just posted does not look like what I have, so I will have to go look again for something similar to that pic. What I have mounted to the firewall must be something else. He said it was between the firewall and coil pack - I assumed it was mounted to the firewall since there isn't much room between the firewall and coil pack.

Thanks - DW

Hi, I was reading this posts and I could resist to ask you guys...
I'm the owner of the only Eddie Bauer in Brazil. Ford brought only v6 and v8 OHV engines, so I have no parts around for my SOHC 99 Explorer.
I had a problem with my EGR Valve and my Fuel Pressure Damper is leaking.... I could solve de problem with the EGR, but I can't find the fuel pressure damper to replace....
Could you guys tell me where to find it. I couldn't find in rockoauto, auto zone and others... Seams that no one sell it

Thanks a lot
From Brazil, and probably from one of the last Explorer lovers down here.

Hi, I was reading this posts and I could resist to ask you guys...
I'm the owner of the only Eddie Bauer in Brazil. Ford brought only v6 and v8 OHV engines, so I have no parts around for my SOHC 99 Explorer.
I had a problem with my EGR Valve and my Fuel Pressure Damper is leaking.... I could solve de problem with the EGR, but I can't find the fuel pressure damper to replace....
Could you guys tell me where to find it. I couldn't find in rockoauto, auto zone and others... Seams that no one sell it

Thanks a lot
From Brazil, and probably from one of the last Explorer lovers down here.
Your 1999 should have a returnless fuel system that is identical to a 2000 model. Rock Auto still sells a Standard Motor Products fuel pressure damper P/N FPD80 for a 2000 but the cost is a prohibitive $260. There is one Airtex unit still available on eBay for $77: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Inject...ash=item20fd60bc6d:g:jQcAAOSwHnFVn~AK&vxp=mtr

This one at eBay is not a return less

I appreciate your help, I'll have to buy it anyway... There's no alternative parts neither OEM parts around here... I'll try to buy at RockAuto, send to a friend in US and wait he travels back to Brazil to bring me the part....

I found 2 items at Rock Auto, Airtex/Wells and Standard Motor, the prices are very similar, which one do you think is better?

Thanks a Lot!

I appreciate your help, I'll have to buy it anyway... There's no alternative parts neither OEM parts around here... I'll try to buy at RockAuto, send to a friend in US and wait he travels back to Brazil to bring me the part....

I found 2 items at Rock Auto, Airtex/Wells and Standard Motor, the prices are very similar, which one do you think is better?

Thanks a Lot!
I think Standard Motor has a better reputation than Airtex/Wells.

Back