• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
How do I remove the fuel line at the pressure regulator? It has a black plastic fitting on it that I simply cant figure out. I'm working on my '91 OHV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly you use the same tool you use to pull off the fuel filter.. you put it on the line, it slides under the clip (you push it on) and while pushing the tool on you pull the lines apart.

Autozone sells the tool.. There are plastic and metal kits.. I use the plastic tools but I've used the metal ones before and sometimes I can get the metal to work, othertimes I need the plastic ones...

The plastic kit I have I think is made by leslie.. Its the ford fuel line removal tool.

edit: I alsmost forgot.. the Early 91's have the PFR connector like you have. in late 1991 (1992) they went to a threaded connector.. just wanted to let you know so you don't buy the wrong one when you buy your replacement fpr (I'm assuming thats what your doing).

~Mark

Thanks a TON!!! Do you have a trick for getting the fan off the water pump without the special tools? The fuel regulator and the fan clutch are the only 2 royal PITA's I've encountered removing my engine.
Everything else is off ready to pull the engine.

You need the special tool.. but get the one from Checkers.. The one from autozone will most likely not work.. they use thin metal and it bends.. Once it bends it just slips..

The one from Checkers is a much better kit.. BUT it costs more to rent.. The autozone one is $20ish.. the Checker one is $180.. but you get your money back when you return it and the checker one is worth the extra money.

If you have access to it.. the best tool to remove the fan clutch is a snap-on or matco kit that uses an air hammer.. thats the best one, but it ain't cheap.

~Mark

I'm in BFE!!!!! 25 miles from Parker, 40 Miles From Havasu. Not a lot of store choices out here. The closest is Autozone, no checker within 100 miles.

If your not in a big hurry.. check ebay.. I saw a few of the impact style there for about $100 (I'm assuming you have air tools).. Actually, sears had a decent kit too (and they mail order)

You can try the autozone one, but if its already spread apart its not gonna work..

I tried using my air hammer w/out the tool (hitting just the corner) but my motor was already on the ground so it kept turning everything.. It might work if you still have the belt on.

edit: I almost forgot. You want the tool that works on the ford 4.9 motor.. none list the 4.0 but they usually list the 4.9

~Mark

let me start out by saying that that set up is totally a PITA. I do know the autozone tool is a joke. well first off, get some brake fluid, or if you can, some PB blaster and soak the nut. When something is super tight like that you need to bang on the place were it is bonded. with a pipe and hammer or what ever. For a while, sometimes a long while. the shock can help loosen it
What i did was I pulled the radiator and the water pump then took the pump, clutch and fan and worked on it on my bench instead of on the truck. I found a flat peice of metal and drilled holes in it and bolted it to the pulley, then took a pipe wrench to the big nut. First I tried loosing the four fan bolts so I had room for my creasant wrench to fit. Sometimes when you live in the sticks you have to make do with what you have. At worst, it would be the price of a water pump gasket,or you could rtv it back on.

Back