• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Presure Low??

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
I just checked my fuel pressure to diagnose a misfire and popping under load and got these numbers.

Key in, engine off - 21 psi
Engine on, idle - 30 psi
FPR Vacuum hose off - 33 to 39 psi

According to the Haynes manual, fuel pressure with vacuum hose attached should be 30 - 45, without the hose it should be 40 - 50. So I'm just in spec, but do those numbers still look low enough to cause the misfiring and popping under load (which I believe means I'm running to lean). I have no trouble starting the Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i didnt get misfires, but mine was running at 29-30 psi not that long ago. i determined it was the fuel pump, and just paid to have it replaced because i didnt want to hassle with it.

oh and mine would start fine, but over 3k rpm's and i had a huge loss of power

My guess would be fuel pump.

What are your pressures when you get your misfire under load???

What are your pressures when you get your misfire under load???

The fuel pressure gauge isn't long enough to mount it outside of the hood, otherwise I would have checked that. Though I guess that would tell me for sure if it's the fuel pressure that's causing the problems I'm having. I'll see if I can find some sort of extension for it.

When you extend it, just get enough so you can tape the gauge to the windshield. DO NOT run the gauge inside the cab. You do not want a pressurized gasoline line inside the car for any reason. Not even for a couple of minutes.

Managed to just get the gauge outside of the hood. Got the truck to start running rough by going up a hill, and the gauge stayed at 39 psi... didn't move at all. In fact, it never rose above 40psi no matter how hard I stepped on the gas. I'm not convinced that the fuel pump is my problem though. I would have thought that when the truck began surging going up the hill, I would see the psi drop.. but it didn't.

Back