• Register Today It's free!

fuel problems

amccombs15

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Island, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Eddie Bauer
i have a '94 explorer EB and sometimes when i try to start the truck it just turns over and over, other times it will fire right up. when i turn the key to on i do not hear the fuel pump whirl (prime), so i'll open the hood and wiggle some wires until i'll hear the fuel pump prime, then it'll run great. im thinking i have a bad ground or a bad pump. how do i test for a bad fuel pump. . if anyone has a pic of the ground wire for the fuel pump that would be great cause i found this guide http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182160&highlight=fuel+pump+removal . and with that access panel shown i could just splice into the ground wire to some bare metal to see if thats the problem. does anyone have any other ideas on what the problem could be. or any ideas to fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my '92, the fuel pump grounds to the body under the hood, driver's side, near the radiator overflow. I would also check the fuel pump relay and fuse on the passenger side.

Thx a lot I will try that. But does anyone know how to test a fuel pump?

if you know your ground is good and relay is good, then you can basically just say the pump is bad, shouldnt need to test it

The thing is right now its starting up just fine, as if there is no problem. But I kno in a week or so its gonna not prime the fuel ( not gonna hear the whirl of the Fuel pump). That's why I need to know what the fuel pump ground looks like. Unless anyone can think of it having a different problem

Here's how I would test for a bad pump:

As suggested, first test for power and ground to the pump (which you are already working on). If the pump is getting power and has a good ground, and still doesn't run, then the pump is bad. If the pump runs, then you put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see if the pump is generating sufficient pressure.

That said, it seems that bad pumps usually aren't intermittent like what you are seeing. Intermittents like that are usually an electrical fault (bad ground or bad relay or other). I don't have a picture of the ground, but on mine it is simply an eye lug bolted to the sheet metal next to the radiator overflow. It has two wires going to that spot: one for the pump and one for the fuel level sender.

Do you have a wiring diagram? I've found that even the ones in Chiltons are helpful in tracking down problems in the fuel pump circuit.

Mr shorty I wanna say thank you for the great help. Tomorrow I will see if I can locate the ground wires. As for the diagram, no I do not have one. The local autozone sold the last guide book for my year explorer. And I'm having problems locating the correct one on the interweb. I'm still new to this site, is there a section on this site with diagrams like that?

Check the links in my signature for diagrams for your truck...

i do appreciate the links but i was unable to find the correct diagram. i can't believe in this day and age of internet i am unable to find a fuel pump diagram for 1994 ford explorer. if anyone could take a pic of the wire leading from the pump or wherever to links up to complete the ground or of any part of the ground wire, i will splice into it and attach it to the frame to see if it fixes the issue. i just need to know what the ground wire looks like.

also, the relay is working just fine

At one point, Autozone had a free electronic version of Chiltons on their website. I think it's still there, but they expect you to register to use it. There are also subscription sites (such as alldatadiy.com), if you want to pay for access to wiring diagrams and such. If old fashioned print versions are acceptable, most public libraries have and auto repair manual section.

I take at this point, that the ground for your '94 is in a different location than on my '92, is that right?

I haven't checked, busy with work and getting into school, but I think its under my brake booster. I'll check tomorrow before I go to work. And I will stop at a library for a repair manual. Never thought to go there. Thx for the tip.

Does the Check Engine light go on when the key is on and the pump is not working? (No power to computer = no fuel pump) Could be the EEC (Electronic Engine Controls) relay is bad / intermittent. If it IS on and the fuel pump does not run, then the Fuel Pump relay or wiring is bad / intermittent.

Just because the relay (fuel pump, eec, etc) works sometimes does not mean it will work all the time. They can get funky that way (happened to me) If they are at all suspect replace them. (with a good Bosch or Ford one, not one of those cheap imported ones).

MrShorty is correct that fuel pumps are not usually intermittent. They typically run fine, or do not run at all. Sometimes they can run weak, but they usually don't for long. Working one day then not the next is not a usual fuel pump failure, it's typically an electrical fault.

Remember that if the Check Engine light is not on when the key is on, you have NO power to the EEC circuits and the fuel pump will not run nor will the engine start.

found the problem. the e.e.c relay was bad

Back