Fuel pump--questions on access panel-making one | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump--questions on access panel-making one

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
Hi guys! As some of you know, I have been having problems with my fuel pump, about a month ago it started. I hit the bottom of the tank and it ran like a champ for a month. Well its completely dead now :(

So I have been reading about making an access panel. Followed some directions, got the Driver Side Rear seat taken out and pulled off the black plastic piece and pulled the carpet back. WELL, about 10 years ago FORD replaced the fuel pump for me. I have driven 160,000 miles since!

Anyway, my question is, does the dealer drop the tank, or do they make a hole in the floor of the explorer to get to the pump and change it? The reason I ask is because when I pulled the carpet back, I found what looks to be a new piece of metal welded on top of the original? Pics below to see what I am talking about? Is that the right place for the pump? If it is, I'll just cut around that! I'm not dropping the tank! Landlord won't allow it, and I have no where else to do it.

I don't know if there is a difference, but I have a 2 DOOR Ford Explorer Expedition, 1995!

image4_zps4cb8079a.jpg

image2_zps8df7f43d.jpg

I have a 96 4 door and I cut mine out last year. The picture you show looks like mine with the exception of mine being quite a bit bigger, and extending closer to the driver side of the truck. Search this site for more pictures. The pictures shown on this site show the cut going a lot further up the floor towards the rear. I found I did not need to go that far. I kept the cut on the flat part of the floor, and bent some of the sheet metal up for better access. Keep in mind 4 door vs 2 door.

Back