Fuel Pump??? Relay??? Need Advice Quick! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump??? Relay??? Need Advice Quick!

FarmageddonNRO

Reaction score
City, State
Anaconda MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
I recently replaced my spark plugs and plug wires, NGK stuff, oil change, air filter, pcv valve, etc. on my 91 XL 4x4 4.0 V6. This truck was running like a champ all last week. Today I was on my home and it lost all power, had a super rough idle and quit as I pulled it over, this all happened in like 2 minutes. Then I went back and it started up fine an hour later and I drove it home. To me it seems like a fuel pump issue, like it's about to crap out. We are about to move across the country in 2 weeks and I don't want to chance it, I'm thinking of replacing the pump and hanging assembly completely, currently I have 165k on this truck. Are there any other possibilities for this problem? I plan on changing the fuel filter too, just got a Baldwin, and I'm thinking of changing the coil pack and running some BG 44K through it to to hopefully clean up the injectors a little, I'm sure they have have deposits and build-up. So, I'm kind of on a budget, but not looking for crappy parts, can't afford Motor Craft. Any suggestions on brands that seem to be reliable, or any other things I need to check or replace?? :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your relay has a bad spot in it, thatll cause the issue of fire this time not the next fire for 5 times not the next three go get a relay from FORD not the aftermarket crap from the auto stores a genuine FORD relay for that

i would do a quick check on ur altermator. that would cause it to just shut down like that. an easy way to check it is to start ur truck (hopefully it will start for u) and the disconnect the battery. if it stay running then ur alternator is good, if it dies then theres ur problem. i found my alternator on ebay for $35.00 free shipping.

You might also want to check your air mass sensor it could be the source of the problem.

that test is a harsh test on ur alternator. O Rileys, Adv, Auto will all check it for free. you can tell if its your alt by going out side, turning it on, turn EVERYTHING ON, full power heater, rear defrost, head lights, windshield wipers etc.... let it run for about 5 mins if everything starts to go really dim and not brighten back up... alternator... or if dies within 5 mins... yeah alternator..

i had the same problem as you with the driving down the road and just stopped working started next day but not the next.. was the relay... stopped while driving because it stopped pumping gas to the motor.

Thanks for the heads up, the alternator is fairly new, about a year and a half. It seems more like a fuel problem, I'll start with the relay and go from there. It started right up and ran fine after it sat for an hour or so. I only drove it a few blocks. When it originally died and I had it pulled over I tried starting it a few times, it would rumble like a *******, barley running, then it would quit. Thanks for the advice thus far, I'll keep you all posted on this.

lol yeah exact same problems i was having, we were going down the highway and just stopped, got it home and it started, went out next morning and it wouldnt start kicked it and it started drove out of driveway and it stopped... so replaced the fuel relay and was good for a long time

Would one of you cats have a part number for that relay? Exact part name? Much appreciated:thumbsup:

Is this relay located under the hood?

I just picked up a '94 limited and it had the same issue. I was about to head over and check out the truck when the PO called me and said it wouldn't start.

From what he was describing, it sounded like a fuel delivery issue. I decided to go over and check out the truck anyway.

I checked that it had spark and could not hear the fuel pump kicking on. I fiddled with it a minute and checked the relay/fuse box.

I switched the fuel pump relay with the ABS relay (same part #) and it fired right up... The guy said the truck ran smoother than it ever did. :)

I drove it home and on the way, got it up to about 40mph and mashed the brakes and the ABS still worked!

I've yet to register it, but start it every few days just to be sure it'll run and it still fires right up.

So, I guess I'm saying, "try switching those two relays and see what happens"... Best of luck.

Cheers -Adam

Thats what I did, switched with the ABS because the ABS on mine is umm taken apart and gone, then switched with A/c bcuz of same...

That's good news, I checked for the relay click, and I just checked for the fuel pump noise, all seems fine.. it's an on and off problem at this point, I'm gonna replace the relay and fuses tomorrow, starting with that. I hate crap like this. I hope it's not something else, I took it to the store last night and it acted like nothing was wrong, would hate to have to spend a bunch of money on this right now and find out the fuel pump is fine. I just replaced the plugs and plug wires last week. I also degreased the engine at the carwash, I hope that didn't fu%k something up..

I always start with the least expensive things and work my way up. ;)

i drove my self crazy with this, dumbly i replaced it with a CHEAP aftermarket fuse and dealt with the problem again later... when my Fuel Pump does take a ****e Im going replace it with a better one.

howdy nieghbor ...just went through this with a 92 and replaced lots of stuff i had put a new pump in and was having same prob still..... checked fuel press. was only getting 20lbs so took the pump back exchanged put the new one in and all working now k some more info it was fine till i hit 50 miles the a 174 pops up checked pressure was getting 90 lbs so also had to replace fuel pressure reg. all seems good now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back