Solved - Fuel pump replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Fuel pump replacement.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Just wanted to say, Ford hit the mark with the areostar fuel tank and pump. This was so easy to change, even on my rust pile of a van. I was expecting the metal lock ring that just folds up upon removal and the rusty tank tangs that never hold the pump in place again, without a prayer... similar to my explorers.

Now i just got to order some tank straps and get some new bolts and put this thing back together. I think I'm gonna replace my intermediate park brake cable while its easy to get to.

IMG_20160717_203108025_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know if you receive a pair of straps for the aerostar. I ordered a pair of tank straps for my ford ranger and summit racing kept sending one strap. I got tired of dealing with them so I found what I needed at a junk yard.

I found a set on rock auto. Gonna order them and let you know.

Finally got the together. It's been a busy couple weeks. The tank straps I got fit perfectly. They were only about $25 for the set. This was probably the easiest fuel pump I've done. Tank had a gallon in it when pump went bad. Total opposite of whats normal!

Just wanted to say, Ford hit the mark with the areostar fuel tank and pump. This was so easy to change, even on my rust pile of a van. I was expecting the metal lock ring that just folds up upon removal and the rusty tank tangs that never hold the pump in place again, without a prayer... similar to my explorers.

Now i just got to order some tank straps and get some new bolts and put this thing back together. I think I'm gonna replace my intermediate park brake cable while its easy to get to.

View attachment 91572
Do you know were I can get a new tank. This is the second time my top seals went in 3 weeks. I'm waiting to here from service station what they found today

Did they check the lines at the pump? I think dorman makes fuel lines you can splice in to replace the connections. There are o-rings in the connectiors that can go bad.

I kinda doubt your tank is bad. Someone would have had to messed it up at one point. The filler hose could be loose too. When I had my tank out the clamp was rusted through and broke. It's hidden by the frame.

Thanks I don't want this to turn into a money pit. With the fuel leak will this cause a loss in pressure going to the injectors. I've notice when I start the van cold it fires up and drives good. As soon as I shut it down. Go inside to shop come back the van shakes and won't idle unless I rev the heck out of it and start driveing once I drive around 300 feet it's fine like it never happend.

Yes, if the pressure bleeds off, you can end up with poor running or a no start. I wouldn't skimp on the fuel system repairs. You could end up with a toasty van...

Still waiting on the pug shuttle

I need to change my fuel pump pretty soon. Has that trademark high pitched whine, and if you let off the gas, it goes away after a couple seconds..

Got the pug shuttle back the other day.its amazing what a cracked tank can cause with a loss of pressure. I use to have to crank it about 5 seconds and it would start. Now it's instant start. Maybe HAVEING air getting into the system caused some problems.
Or wishful thinking. Next daddy's baby needs a new pair of shoes

Back