Fuel Smell Not Running

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but for the past couple months I've had a recurring fuel smell in the garage. I poked around and can't find any other source of the smell, that builds up gradually so difficult to pinpoint. I mean I have lawn type equipment, even gas cans but the smell doesn't seem to be originating from them.

That leaves the 2014 Explorer to rule out. I don't notice the fuel level dropping, don't see any drip marks, and don't detect any stronger fuel smell at the capless filler tube. There is no smell in the cabin, and no diagnostic trouble codes set AFAIK (no Check Engine Light). Surely any emissions codes would trigger the CEL, yes?

While it's going on 7 years old, it is in (otherwise) great condition with only 14K miles, no obvious signs of excessive rust or wear, so unless road debris hit something, I'm wondering more about a valve or solenoid might be getting stuck open when it's off? Just spitballing here...

I saw there was a recall for a leak (fuel delivery module, plastic connector cracks) for '13 model year but found nothing about '14. Is there an access panel under the 2nd row seats to access this area? I would have thought that a leak there would massively increase the fuel leakage and smell the moment the engine is turned on, but I haven't noticed that, rather when it is returned to the garage and off, then the smell builds up but only enough to notice if the garage door is shut.

I suppose it could be the timing, that engine turned on for vehicle use, it pulls out of an open garage but is the tank constructed in a shape where a fuel leak could puddle on the top of the tank and sit there evaporating slowly over time? OR it could just be that once home with the garage door shut, the smell builds up from some other source, but I have looked and looked and no other potential sources seem to be leaking.

Anyone else have anything on their 5th gen Explorer causing a fuel smell?

There is no access panel. In fact, one of our more resourceful members constructed one in order to access the fuel pump. LPFP hanger assembly access for DW300c Fuel Pump install
Have you checked to see if the fuel filler flap is completely closed? Usually though, if it isn't you would get a trouble code.
This sort of issue hasn't been posted before as far as I know. The only way that I could see fuel puddling on top of the tank is if there was a leak in the line from the fuel pump.

Peter

The fuel filler flap did "seem" to be closed, and I did not smell gas putting my nose up to it.

Thanks for the link to the access panel, though not knowing if I'm going to find any problem in that area, it looks like a lot of work at this stage, might have to hunt down a borescope and see if I can fish it up in there and see anything, or just make a tiny hole in the floor pan to slip a 'scope down into, that I can plug rather than having to cut and put a patch panel on.

Before any of that, I ought to park it outside for a few days to see if the fuel smell goes away.

Back