2013 Explorer ecoboost fuel smell at startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer ecoboost fuel smell at startup

min150mph

Reaction score
I've got a 2013 Ecoboost explorer that I bought in April and everytime I have the re-circulate turned off I smell gasoline when I start the car. It is only when I start it. It has done this since I got it and I now have 16k miles on it. I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it as I've mostly had it on re-circulate during the summer heat here in TX.

I found this forum searching gas smell and 2013 explorer. Did find some posts that mentioned a gas smell, but none that seem to match what I'm experiencing. I don't smell any gasoline when I park in the garage when getting home or elsewhere for that matter. I should open the hood and have somebody else start it to see if I can figure out where it is coming from, just haven't had time.

Guess I need to schedule to take it in for service, but just a PITA and if it was something easy and known I could fix myself.

Anybody encountered this? I should mention I don't top off the gas tank. Once the handle clicks off I remove it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 2013 Ecoboost explorer that I bought in April and everytime I have the re-circulate turned off I smell gasoline when I start the car. It is only when I start it. It has done this since I got it and I now have 16k miles on it. I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it as I've mostly had it on re-circulate during the summer heat here in TX.

I found this forum searching gas smell and 2013 explorer. Did find some posts that mentioned a gas smell, but none that seem to match what I'm experiencing. I don't smell any gasoline when I park in the garage when getting home or elsewhere for that matter. I should open the hood and have somebody else start it to see if I can figure out where it is coming from, just haven't had time.

Guess I need to schedule to take it in for service, but just a PITA and if it was something easy and known I could fix myself.

Anybody encountered this? I should mention I don't top off the gas tank. Once the handle clicks off I remove it.
Welcome to the Forum min150mph. :wavey:
I have read posts on burned oil smells and sulphur (rotten egg) smells but don't recall many for gas.
If it were my vehicle, I don't think I would have waited 6 months to determine what the problem might be. It could perhaps be a loose fitting somewhere causing a slow leak when gas is under pressure. The other problem with waiting so long might be that it may be considered as being 'no big deal'.
I suggest taking it in and having it checked out.

Peter

We've had a 2013 XLT? E-Boost since July. It does not seem to get very good fuel econemy. I have occassionally noticed a gas smell upon start up....and I have noticed a very heavy layer of black soot in the tailpipes under any number of driving conditions. This is an over rich fuel situation in my estimation....It's not oil burn as I have checked the oil numerous times and it is not using oil....The Dealer just laughs and says it's normal, refering to the soot....I don't think so.....check your tail pipes and let me know if possible.......Thuis may have some connection to your gas smell.......best regards Plum

I have noticed the same odor intermittently. I initially assumed I had stepped in gas when filling the tank. The mats, carpet and my shoes had no odor. Starting the engine the next morning, I noticed the smell of fresh gas. I immediately popped the hood and smelled no gas odor under the hood nor on the floor mats. There was no general odor in the carport. I have noticed this upon startup in or out of my carport. My exhaust outlets are not unusually blackened. Mileage is ok! I too am puzzled.

This is for an Edge, but It could be something like this??

http://www.activityvehicle.com/2012/09/recall-2012-ford-edge-2-0-ecoboost/

Do the vehicles have the same fuel line pulse damper metal housing, I wonder?

If everything with the 2.0 liter is the same, them Ford may have to expand the recall, but if the fuel lines, emission systems, etc are different, then yes it would be limited to the Edge.

But, If need be, file a report with NHTSA. I guess it could only help. The only way car comanpies are going to know about issues are from customers (and NHTSA).

Thanks everybody. I need to read the Edge part and check with the dealer too. I took it to the dealer last Saturday and they said they can smell it too and checked the fuel/evap system for leaks and found none. They were going to call Ford this week. I need to check back with them.

I guess if I don't get an answer I will file a report too.

I don't have a lot of soot or at least not anymore than any other vehicle we have (6 currently running) or have had. I have no complaints on the gas mileage it is just as I expected based on the published numbers.

Edit: I just read the re-call and I would think Ford would no longer be using the same one as the recall was for 2010 and 2011manufacture date models of the Edge - unless something else undiscovered is the cause.

Gas smell in 2013 Explorer dealer

I just had this same experience with my 2013 Explorer. I could smell gas in the cabin and also when I would walk to the rear of the vehicle before it was even started. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace some of the plumbing and the sending unit on the tank. I have yet to pick it back up to verify what was actually done, but wanted to encourage you, as other have, to get it into the dealer since it will be a warranty item. Seems like there is something similar to other recalls going on here IMO....

I just had this same experience with my 2013 Explorer. I could smell gas in the cabin and also when I would walk to the rear of the vehicle before it was even started. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace some of the plumbing and the sending unit on the tank. I have yet to pick it back up to verify what was actually done, but wanted to encourage you, as other have, to get it into the dealer since it will be a warranty item. Seems like there is something similar to other recalls going on here IMO....

Thanks for sharing your experience, rielguy. Let us know how things go when you bring your Explorer home. If you need my assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Crystal

2013 Explorer gas smell

Noticed a heavy gas smell at rear of my 2013 explorer
2 days ago took it to Ron Norris Ford in Titusville yesterday
They called this morning and said it was a cracked fuel pump
They are ordering part and just in case anyone here lives
In the area I would like to say Ron Norris Ford has been very
Polite handled all situations from sale to service the way
It should be done. Contacting Mullinax Ford in New Symrna
Fl each time first from attempt to purchase to each service
Situation resulted in an unknowledgable salesman and a rude
And unhelpful service department this dealership is closer
To my home but i will make the drive to Ron Norris every
Time from now forward including my future purchases

Noticed a heavy gas smell at rear of my 2013 explorer
2 days ago took it to Ron Norris Ford in Titusville yesterday
They called this morning and said it was a cracked fuel pump
They are ordering part and just in case anyone here lives
In the area I would like to say Ron Norris Ford has been very
Polite handled all situations from sale to service the way
It should be done. Contacting Mullinax Ford in New Symrna
Fl each time first from attempt to purchase to each service
Situation resulted in an unknowledgable salesman and a rude
And unhelpful service department this dealership is closer
To my home but i will make the drive to Ron Norris every
Time from now forward including my future purchases

Hi spookwalker,

I'm happy to hear that Ron Norris Ford is taking excellent care of you. Let us know how the repair goes! If you'd like, I can document your feedback about Ron Norris and Mullinax; just send me a private message (PM) with your name, phone number, and any details you'd like me to include.

Thanks!

Crystal

2013 Explorer XLT fuel smell

My Explorer developed the same symptoms. Fuel fumes in the passenger compartment. Called my dealer Collier Ford and they responded quickly advising me not to drive it. Called Ford roadside assistance who arranged a tow. Problem was a cracked fuel pump. Third one they had seen in three days. Hopefully Ford will issue a recall on this quickly. Thanks Collier Ford. Forgot to mention it was A Sunday and Mothers Day too boot.

My Explorer developed the same symptoms. Fuel fumes in the passenger compartment. Called my dealer Collier Ford and they responded quickly advising me not to drive it...

I'm glad that your dealership took excellent care of you, AUFord! If you'd like me to document your feedback in our system, send me a PM with your name, phone number, and any details you'd like me to include.

Thanks!

Crystal

Gas Smell & 2013 Explorer

My 2013 Explorer 2013 smelled of gas when the car started and when you walked by the rear of the car. I took it into Wynne Ford on June 7, 2013 and after an inspection Ford deemed my car "grounded" and un-drivable due to a crack in the fuel pump. Basically, it there were an ignition of some sort, my car would explode.

We have learned that an official recall for this problem will be issued on July 15th for this very problem.

My only issue is....Ford has had my car since June 7th with NO determinate date for repair. Yes...they are paying for a long term rental but I would like my car back!

Wynne Ford has been amazing through the whole process and I believe they are as frustrated as I am.

If you smell gas when approaching your car, get it to the dealership immediately to have your fuel pump inspected.

Good luck to those of you who have the same problem.

My 2013 Explorer 2013 smelled of gas when the car started and when you walked by the rear of the car. I took it into Wynne Ford on June 7, 2013 and after an inspection Ford deemed my car "grounded" and un-drivable due to a crack in the fuel pump...

Hi ExplorerBug,

Send me a PM with your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) so I can check out some options to assist.

Crystal

I have the same problem with fuel smell in the cabin on startup. This is the 5th time that I have take the Explorer in for service. I think that if it is not fixed this time, it is time for the lemon law to be applied. I'm tired of taking off work to take it in and bring it home and the problem is still there.

Funny thing my dealer hasn't once told me not to drive it. Guess the don't care if my family and I blow up.

I have the same problem with fuel smell in the cabin on startup. This is the 5th time that I have take the Explorer in for service. I think that if it is not fixed this time, it is time for the lemon law to be applied. I'm tired of taking off work to take it in and bring it home and the problem is still there.

Funny thing my dealer hasn't once told me not to drive it. Guess the don't care if my family and I blow up.

Is this on your 2000 Explorer?

Your details still say 2000 Explorer is why I asked.
Have you considered taking your Ex to a different dealer?

I have been thinking about doing that too. I dropped it off today to see if they can fixed the problem. Guess this will determine my next steps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been thinking about doing that too. I dropped it off today to see if they can fixed the problem. Guess this will determine my next steps.
Have you checked to see if there is an outstanding recall for your vehicle? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402399

There was a recall for the fuel delivery system. People could smell gas or in some cases there was a leak from the fuel pump.
Recall 13S04 FUEL DELIVERY MODULE REPLACEMENT. Not sure if it applies or not but you definitely shouldn't be smelling gas.

Peter

Back