Fuel Tank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Tank

kenny57

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and I need to replace the fuel pump. My question is where is the fuel tank located at?

My guess is that it's somewhere underneath the vehicle. Get down and look.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and I need to replace the fuel pump. My question is where is the fuel tank located at?

As "Thepotroast" told you, it is mounted along the rear, passenger side frame rail(inside of rail) just infront of the rear tire. The fuel pump/sending unit sits inside of the gas tank thru a port hole in the top of the tank. There is a "locking ring" that holds the sending unit in place and is attached to the tank at the top of the port hole. Becareful jacking up the vehicle along the rear passenger side frame rail because the tank sits very close to the frame rail there. Don't want the lifting cup on the floor jack puncturing the tank. There is a post in the archives here, on how to change the gas tank sending unit without removing the tank from the vehicle. Suppose to be an easier way of replacing the sending unit versus dropping the whole tank down. It involves cutting a 3 sided hole thru the rear passenger floor board and peeling back the cut floor to access the sending unit and remove it that way.
Below is the link for a post By "High Order 1", it comes with plenty of pics and instructions on how to remove the fuel pump without dropping the gas tank. Anything you try is at your own risk!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322730&highlight=tank

Back