Full Length XLT Console to a short Sport Console??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Length XLT Console to a short Sport Console???

MudXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Tracy CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
has anyone ever had thier entire full length console removed?
i would like to see some pictures.

i hate the fulll lenght comsole in my xlt, makes the truck feel WAY crowded, even more so with my cb. i would really like to put in a short console out of a sport.

i was thinking of getting a rear carpet section out of a junkyard x to cover the exposed area and sew around the edges.

has this been done?
any thoughts?

thank you for any input in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if anyone has done it but it could be. What color is your interior? I actually want to put a full length console in my Sport. It has a gray interior. Trade?

Its usually the opposite, people going from the short consoles to the full consoles, the short ones are just cheap looking and have way less storage in my opinion, but I do understand what you mean about making it feel more open without the full console. Thats one thing I liked about my Taurus, is that you could lift the armrest up, and flip open the whole extended console which was really nice, then tuck it back in if you dont need it. That might look pretty choppy though if you just add one patch of carpet...

I would honestly go pull a whole piece of carpet from a junkyard expo with the short console and swap it in

briwayjones, unfortunatly my interior is tan, or i would trade.

brian: the only reason i was thinking the patch was because its going to be reallly hard to find a 4door explorer with a short colsole tan interior and decent carpet.

i was thinking to putting some edges on the patch piece like a floor mat, and its probably going to be covered with one of those big rubber floormats that covers the hump anyway to protect my carpet.

from what pictures i can find, i looks like there is carpet under the console, not 100% sure yet as the pictures dont show it actually removed all the way.

I did it to mine. I'll find some pics.

I didn't need to do anything to the carpet as it is fully carpeted where it needs to be.

attachment.php

You have to get the ash tray panel from an Explorer (or probably Ranger) with the short console, as well as that plastic black piece down below. It all bolts in.

attachment.php

It looks bad without those items as seen in this pic.

01.jpg

In the bottom of this pic shows the bracket from the short console that needs to be bolted to the floor. It's the only not bolt-in thing about the swap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

There it is installed. I swapped mine because of the manual shift tcase I installed. These pics were from when I still had the body lift in which is why the shifter is so short.

section 525, thank you a ton. that makes it seem way too easy.
glad to see there is carpet under there!

will any 95-99 work in my 95 ex?

Yes, any of those should work. I believe you can actually run a 91-01. I think the 91-94s just have different cup holder inserts but weaker armrest brackets.

briwayjones, unfortunatly my interior is tan, or i would trade.

Actually I have two Explorers and forgot about the other one but wanted to put full length consoles into both of them. And the other one is tan. I have two different tan short consoles.

Okay I'm wanting to do this but reverse, except I'll also have to work around a shifter (manual transmission), My bracket for my short console is not bolted but appears to be riveted in place, how would OI go about removing, and how hard would it be to put in a full length console

I took mine out and replaced it with a walmart "clutter catcher" 30$ perfect match on color and its way shorter, has more storage, better cupholders etc.

Back