Full size spare tire storage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full size spare tire storage

SteveP8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 4WD
As a new owner of a 2018 Explorer, 4wd with class 3 tow package, I do not understand why it didn't come with a full size spare. But now that I have one, have a problem on figuring out where to put the spare as it won't fit under the 3rd row seats.

So, has any one ever tried to change the spare tire to mount from the outside like the pickups do? I know that a bunch of metal work would be required. Use a wire winch like the PUs also.

Of course, if I could figure out how to pull the 3rd row seats, might be easier. Suggestions appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
This question has come up several times before. To mount it under the vehicle you would probably have to remove the current spare tire wheel well which would likely include a lot of work as you stated. As for removing the 3rd row seats, there is a thread on that; Removing 3rd Row Seats & Installing Cross Brace
I believe the cross brace referred to is required to maintain the crash ratings. Not sure if the current spare tire setup also comes into play for rear crash ratings.
If mounting the spare inside you would have to ensure that it is held down securely so it doesn't become a flying missile in the even of a crash.
In the early days of the 5th gen Explorer those with the tow package also came with a tire repair kit.

Peter

tire well.JPG

If you just want the full size spare for towing, just mount it in/on whatever you are towing. If you want it all the time, cheapest option will probably be some sort of custom/semi-custom hitch mount spare tire carrier. Next best option will be removing 3rd row and converting to 2 row/PIU config.

I saw that link, but it has expired (from 2011?) The spare would also fit if you could raise up the rear part of the rear seat bracket by about 8 inches. Approach angle for the spare is just too great. But the bottom mounting would be elegant!

I saw that link, but it has expired (from 2011?) The spare would also fit if you could raise up the rear part of the rear seat bracket by about 8 inches. Approach angle for the spare is just too great. But the bottom mounting would be elegant!
Threads don't "expire" Steve. Any new post added to an existing thread will bring it back to top of the main page.
As KayGee mentioned, if it is towing you are concerned about, look to see if the item being towed is capable of carrying the spare. Otherwise I think the mini spare should be capable of meeting any needs. I've had mini spares for 17 years and never had to use them. Only had one puncture in that time and thanks to TPMS I was able to drive to the dealer to get it taken care of before it deflated.

Peter

Example of hitch mount spare tire carrier.

F143839923.jpg

Solo-Mercedes-tow.jpg

Solo-3-Quarter.jpg

Here is the problem with a hitch mounted spare, it significantly loads up the limited weight carrying hitch ford puts on its Explorers and increases rear end sag. Those hitches are limited to 500 pounds vertical load and the torque wiggle that a spare tire with a long vertical support puts on that hitch could be damaging.

A full spare mounted low, either inside (if the 3rd row seats could be moved like on a hinge) or outside from the bottom, shortens the torque arm, doesn't load the hitch, and keeps the center of gravity low (which as you know is important on a 4wd with a higher ground clearance)

Here is the problem with a hitch mounted spare, it significantly loads up the limited weight carrying hitch ford puts on its Explorers and increases rear end sag. Those hitches are limited to 500 pounds vertical load and the torque wiggle that a spare tire with a long vertical support puts on that hitch could be damaging.

A full spare mounted low, either inside (if the 3rd row seats could be moved like on a hinge) or outside from the bottom, shortens the torque arm, doesn't load the hitch, and keeps the center of gravity low (which as you know is important on a 4wd with a higher ground clearance)

The explorer is a low ground clearance car based SUV. If you search google images for "hitch mounted spare tire carrier", you'll see how many people run hitch mounted spares/fuel jugs/tools/etc... on real 4wd vehicles with high ground clearance and/or while trailering. If you prefer to jack with the interior or pound metal underneath the vehicle and potentially compromise the structure/crash-worthiness of your vehicle, have at it.

You have a lot of options:
rear hitch mount carrier - many different kinds and mounting points - some pivot left/right and some are directly inline with receiver and pivot up/down
roof mount carrier
spare in/on trailer
remove 3rd row and convert to PIU style rear which will accommodate full size spare
If you don't like the options you have and are planning to tow at or near the max of 5K lbs, perhaps it would be wise to consider ditching the explorer and getting something with a higher tow rating/safety margin (like a truck or full size SUV that comes with a full size spare).

non-eb have the option to add a front receiver (curt c31052) where you can add a spare tire carrier or any other hitch mount accessory (may block front sensors)
rid465240_r1_500.jpg

Had to turn my PC's monitor upside down to get a good view of that.:D

Peter

Thanks. Have a Casita trailer for the Explorer to pull. Also have a 2017 F250 SD for my bigger trailers. Would be happy with internal spare location, but am having a problem finding the 3rd row removal procedure. Also know about the police pursuit rear brace bar. Just do not want to reinvent the wheel. Have enough to stay busy

Front mounted spare would really mess up cooling airflow and cause significant issues in a front crash (!)

I'm just curious as to why you seem so determined to want the full size spare and not the OEM one?

Peter

Old school (am old guy). I figure the travel gods give flats to people without full size spares when towing (away from home) Local driving, no issues with OEM.

Thousands of vehicles are driven every day with a spare mounted out front one a vehicle with zero problem. The parking sensors can be disabled and as long as you are not blocking the radiator directly there is plenty of air flow to it. Now a front end collision would be something to be careful of if it should happen.

I'm just curious as to why you seem so determined to want the full size spare and not the OEM one?

Peter
I took my PIU on a trip to FL earlier this year and we hit an animal on the road late at night and one of the bones punctured the tire. It was really nice being able to roll off at the next exit and change out a tire in less than half an hour and keep on going full steam rather than trying to use a can of tire sealer/inflator or running a donut at 55MPH.

I usually get about 2 flats a year due to screws/nails/etc... I had one last week and was able to swap the spare on and keep driving as normal. Dropped the damaged tire off for repair, picked it up and reinstalled at my convenience and didn't have to deal with sitting in a tire shop for hours or driving around on a donut.

I always keep a full size spare at the house for all the vehicles I own - it's just nicer to have it in the vehicle when travelling.

Do you use your third row seat?? Or keep it folded down all the time?

I took my PIU on a trip to FL earlier this year and we hit an animal on the road late at night and one of the bones punctured the tire. It was really nice being able to roll off at the next exit and change out a tire in less than half an hour and keep on going full steam rather than trying to use a can of tire sealer/inflator or running a donut at 55MPH.

I usually get about 2 flats a year due to screws/nails/etc... I had one last week and was able to swap the spare on and keep driving as normal. Dropped the damaged tire off for repair, picked it up and reinstalled at my convenience and didn't have to deal with sitting in a tire shop for hours or driving around on a donut.

I always keep a full size spare at the house for all the vehicles I own - it's just nicer to have it in the vehicle when travelling.

Can always mount a couple full-size spares on the roof, Camel Trophy style.

Can always mount a couple full-size spares on the roof, Camel Trophy style.
May have to fill them with helium in that case. Max weight is 45 lbs. with moonroof, 100 lbs. without.:)

Peter

Back