FYI_Torsion Bars | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FYI_Torsion Bars

Ok, talked to Ford again and compared part numbers.

these are the numbers they gave me:

D code=F57Z-5B326/7-C (2DR #)

B code=F57Z-5B326/7-A (4DR #)

I see how people would get confused, the last letter is the bar code.(C is for D etc.)

Here are the different codes strongest to weakest:

B
D
E
F
K
L

When I told the parts guy we were tightenig the adjuster screw, he chuckled and said. "Yer gunna tear your tires if you do that!" I said to myself, "That's what alignments are for, DUH!"

Thanks for the info GM, now I know what to order for SURE. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so on the door panel under spr I have bf which is to say I have a 4dr 4x4 XLT with towing package and I have light torsion bars?

you have the stiff ones, generally the 4dr gets the B and the 2dr gets the D

is it ok to lift the front about an inche higher than the rear?

As long as you don't exceed the 2" lift out of the front that everyone seems to recommend it shouldn't hurt anything to have your front higher than your rear. It would probably take some getting used to the feeling though. You would also need to readjust your headlights and everytime you put a heavy load in the rear it would make it just that much more unlevel.

I also have the BF code. Is the B better than the D?

Bars

Some bars are better than others... I used to like a bar in Utah where you actually got yelled at by the bartender if you did not throw your peanut shells on the floor. (Saved him from having to wipe the tables at the end of the night)

The B bars are used when more weight is part of the package, like on 4 doors. I switched to the B bars because of the heavy brush guard on the front of my truck. If I did not have it I would probably have stayed with the D bars as they give a more compliant ride on the street and probably flex downward more also.

Rick

Back