• Register Today It's free!

garage or shop?

blackbeauty

Reaction score
City, State
canastota,new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 sport
i wondering.... do most of you/us modders do most mods at home with own tool or take it to a shop for a pro do them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who can afford the pro's?

I would say there is a small percentage of people on this board who pay shop rates for fabrication, majority of the trucks are home built. Often you will find a group of enthusiasts in each area will get together and help each other out with the build...

I do everything myself with the help from some close friends when needed :) Over the last 8 years (my BII buildup) I have lived in condo's, apt's, and houses,lack of a garage never stopped me, however now I have a shop set up and its WAY better :)

I have had my truck in a shop only once and that is because my sister was using it when i was on a business trip and some thing broke. She was nice enoughf to hand me the $250 bill for a $75 part when i came back. Every thing else i have done my self.

-AG

I'm a garage poseur. Lot's of tool that I don't know how to use. :cool: :p

I guess I am a garage guy. More a shed with a slab in front of it to work on. The only things I will pay to have done are things that I cant to because to purchase the tools to do it yourself cost to much in relation to haveing someone else do it. I am refering to things such as alignments and having your motor machined if you are rebuilding it. I would even attempt to rebuild my own tranny before I would pay a shop to do it. Plus for me there is a certain amount of pride that comes from doing it myself. It may not be as clean or trick if shop would have done it but still I did it myself.

i have done pretty much everything maintenance wise to my own cars... in my parents garage.... i havent touched the tcase, or auto trannies though....

my current truck i have pretty much rebuilt.... except for a short block rebuild, i did the head, all that kind of stuff.....my lift, bl, etc....

Everything except for the paint job and a couple of other things has been done by me and/or my dad.

RockRanger said:
Plus for me there is a certain amount of pride that comes from doing it myself.

Yeah there is the pride too. I remember once I was at a dinner party with my 97 Porsche 944 that i restored. I had some guy lay in to me about driving an older car he had a new benz. I just looked at him and said I brought mine back from the grave, you bought your's new and it is just like every other benz out there.

Yes, I am a Do it myself person, too! It was just how I was raised. I had my dad and my uncles(on both sides) always fixing,fabricating and trading to get things done! That is the U.S.A. way!! There is a lot of self education. I can just as easily use a tree as to a fancy hydrolic system to pull an engine.
I have paid Factory Techs to repair things..It hurts but had to be done! I guess if I had a truck load of money I would have the Techs do more!!!!

Do it your self person here...
except something i can not do I let my brother in law take it to his school and i get it done for free....

I've done all my mods but the window-tinting. :cool:
3434336323232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2344%3D865%3D848%3DXROQDF%3E2323779%3A5%3A968ot1lsi

Do it myself

I usually do it myself, although certain steering and suspension parts I will pay a mechanic to do. I have found a good mechanic here who is very reasonable. Small things I do myself unless it is really cold (ie. below 25 deg). I now have my own garage, but its not heated, yet. I just installed the last door this week. Still need to put the garage door openers in still.

I have done every thing my self but the exhaust ( custom bent and fully welded ) and the window tint.

Then again I do work on cars for a living so that helps :)

I have always did most things myself. Everynow and then Its just easier to take it to a garage.

DIY is better because you get to learn about your truck and how it ticks. Most people who don't work on their cars that I've talked to complain about the high price of tools but once you have a tool, most quality tools anyway, it will last you a lifetime. My dad got a Snap-on account in 1959 and still has some of his original tools he bought back then. Back in 93 I bought a Craftsman tool set because I was a shop apprentice and needed my own tools. Still have them. They still work great. Invest in a good tool set and a good repair manuel and put the labor savings into cases of beer to bribe a knowledgeable friend to help you. :)

If we took our trucks to the shop...there would be no reason for this site to exist.
I don't trust anyone but myself when it comes to my truck :D

there are 4 things I dont do, exhaust, rebuild transmissions, alignment, and spray the paint.

My next goal is to do all those things myself.
:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RayLCC said:
I bought a Craftsman tool set because I was a shop apprentice and needed my own tools. Still have them. They still work great. Invest in a good tool set and a good repair manuel and put the labor savings into cases of beer to bribe a knowledgeable friend to help you. :)

Yeah i have done it all to my truck and the only thing i use is the Sears 120 pease tool set (got it on sale for $89) a hub socket $15 torque wrench $89 and vicegrips/pliers $50. total of $243 with all of the work that i have done to my truck if i paid some one else to do it the labor and markup on parts would have been well over the $243 that i paid for my tools. Add in a welder $600 for a total of $843 and it is still cheeper thatn all of that labor.

-AG

Back